Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 91733 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

A Bad Situation

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Coyote

Coyote

Emeritus-Expert

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 06 December 2003 - 11:46 AM

http://www.lavasofts...showtopic=15866

I have begun to hear a rumor that should not be allowed to become a reality, users of Earthlink chime in and tell us if this is happening to you.....

A user at Lavasoft's website:

Ever since I moved to Earthlink's Total Access 2004 ISP software, I am unable to run Adaware. This is also true for Spybot. Adaware will not even initialize when online. Again, the same is true for Spybot.

I have contacted Earthlink about this matter, but they would only say that they do not support this software since it is third-party and that I should run Earthlink's version of Spyware Blocker. Of course, I disagreed with this.

Go forth and conquer your goals with the renewed spirit of Coyote and do not let small setbacks stop you from Your Dreams

Microsoft MVP 2006-2007

May your day be blessed by those you love and those you love be blessed by HIM ;-)

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Galadriel

Galadriel

CEO - Chief Elvish Officer

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 06 December 2003 - 12:30 PM

Warning rant mode=ON

What the heck is wrong with these people! Is it not enough that users have to install their proprietary software to connect, they must deny them the use of the software of their choosing for anti-spywares ????????? I can't believe this! This is OUTRAGEOUS! If this is indeed what is happening, then I sure hope that the people will know better and get another Service provider!
*Galadriel shakes head in disbelief....
/rant

EDIT - The user at lavasoft support forum now says he found an entry in msconfig for SpySweeper....and after disabling it, he could run Ad-Aware and Spybot...... SpySweeper as in Webroot ? hmm..... That would be bad if that reveals to be the case....
I amar prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel

'The world is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

#3 Coyote

Coyote

Emeritus-Expert

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 06 December 2003 - 01:06 PM

I spoke to my neighbor, he uses Earthlink, has not recieved anything on mandatory software useage, he does not use their software (course that is because I told him he didn't have to and set him up without it)
Go forth and conquer your goals with the renewed spirit of Coyote and do not let small setbacks stop you from Your Dreams

Microsoft MVP 2006-2007

May your day be blessed by those you love and those you love be blessed by HIM ;-)

#4 Galadriel

Galadriel

CEO - Chief Elvish Officer

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 06 December 2003 - 01:11 PM

Good to know the software is not necessary then.... then people should refrain from using it! or change ISPs.... EarthLink are once again, shooting themselves in the foot!
I amar prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel

'The world is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

#5 dave38

dave38

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 06 December 2003 - 06:05 PM

EarthLink are once again, shooting themselves in the foot!

Hmmm........ More like !Higher up, and towards the centerline!!"
I didn't believe in reincarnation last time either!

#6 Coyote

Coyote

Emeritus-Expert

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 06 December 2003 - 09:05 PM

http://forums.spywar...=0

another thread
(same user afflicted)

Microsoft MVP 2006-2007

#7 Coyote

Coyote

Emeritus-Expert

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 06 December 2003 - 09:20 PM

Thus far we only have one user with this problem, and no real justification as of yet, once all the facts have been gathered that are out there we will have a better understanding of this

Microsoft MVP 2006-2007

#8 MistaLovaLova

MistaLovaLova

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 December 2003 - 10:21 AM

if this is true, it is just another method of control...these bastards are all commies man...