This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Discussion

A Bad Situation

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=15866

I have begun to hear a rumor that should not be allowed to become a reality, users of Earthlink chime in and tell us if this is happening to you…..


A user at Lavasoft's website:

Ever since I moved to Earthlink's Total Access 2004 ISP software, I am unable to run Adaware. This is also true for Spybot. Adaware will not even initialize when online. Again, the same is true for Spybot.

I have contacted Earthlink about this matter, but they would only say that they do not support this software since it is third-party and that I should run Earthlink's version of Spyware Blocker. Of course, I disagreed with this.

Warning rant mode=ON

What the heck is wrong with these people! Is it not enough that users have to install their proprietary software to connect, they must deny them the use of the software of their choosing for anti-spywares ????????? I can't believe this! This is OUTRAGEOUS! If this is indeed what is happening, then I sure hope that the people will know better and get another Service provider!
*Galadriel shakes head in disbelief….
/rant


EDIT - The user at lavasoft support forum now says he found an entry in msconfig for SpySweeper….and after disabling it, he could run Ad-Aware and Spybot…… SpySweeper as in Webroot ? hmm….. That would be bad if that reveals to be the case….
I spoke to my neighbor, he uses Earthlink, has not recieved anything on mandatory software useage, he does not use their software (course that is because I told him he didn't have to and set him up without it)
Good to know the software is not necessary then…. then people should refrain from using it! or change ISPs…. EarthLink are once again, shooting themselves in the foot!
Thus far we only have one user with this problem, and no real justification as of yet, once all the facts have been gathered that are out there we will have a better understanding of this