This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Earthlink-help browser search hijack

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My browser search bar has been hijacked. When I search from the address bar, w/IE6 & winxp, the following page shows up:
http://earthlink-help.net/?d=error_earthli…p;q=hello%20all

All my google research shows NOTHING yet on this hijack.

I ran AVG, SPYBOT, ADAWARE, & HiJackThis, all in SAFE MODE - and nothing.

I posted my log, but after my second computer started doing the same thing, I realized what is happening.

read on for the surprising probably answer.

Took me all day to realize it!
HOLY SMOKES - it started happening on my other computer and now I know what it is. MICROSOFT as a service redirects GOOGLE searches from the IE6 address bar - if your computer is set up for it - as mine has been for years. BUT, today on the news I heard GOOGLE and APPLE are talking plans together….so maybe MICROSOFT turned off the redirect to GOOGLE! I bet that's what happened. SHEEZ
Now I found the real answer - and this fixed the problem: Copy everything below to notepad then save it to your desktop as IEfix.reg. Doubleclick on it and let it import. This resets all IE search configurations to their original state. REGEDIT4 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search] "SearchAssistant"="http://ie.search.msn.com/{SUB_RFC1766}/srchasst/srchasst.htm" "CustomizeSearch"="http://ie.search.msn.com/{SUB_RFC1766}/srchasst/srchcust.htm" "Default_Search_URL"="http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir.dll?prd=ie&ar=iesearch" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main] "Default_Search_URL"="http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir.dll?prd=ie&ar=iesearch" "Search Page"="http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir.dll?prd=ie&ar=iesearch" [HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main] "Search Page"="http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir.dll?prd=ie&ar=iesearch" "Search Bar"="http://g.msn.com/0SEENUS/SAOS01" [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchUrl] ""="http://home.microsoft.com/access/autosearch.asp?p=%s" [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\main] "Search Page"="http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir.dll?prd=ie&ar=iesearch" "Search Bar"="http://search.msn.com/spbasic.htm" "Use Custom Search URL"= dword:00000000 [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\URLSearchHooks] "{CFBFAE00-17A6-11D0-99CB-00C04FD64497}"="" [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\URL] [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\URL] [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\URL\DefaultPrefix] @="http://" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\URL\Prefixes] "ftp"="ftp://" "gopher"="gopher://" "home"="http://" "mosaic"="http://" "www"="http://"

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI