Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Thank You Hijack This!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 stevesa

stevesa

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 December 2003 - 10:10 PM

I just went through hell with a friends laptop. It was so full of spyware/malware/you-name-it-ware that it would not operate if it was not connected to the internet. When it was connected, there were so many pop-up's that the machine could not be operated. I ran AdAware and it found and repaired, after several re-boots, 210 instances of suspicious files/entries. I thought we were on the road to recovery but the pop-up's continued. I downloaded Spybot and it found and repaired an additional 50 entires. We must be fixed now! No! I manually went through all of the programs installed on the computer and found 5 more that needed to be deleted. In the meantime, I installed Norton AV 2004 and ran all of the WindowUpdates that were necessary. Surely, this must be fixed now. Everything is running OK but, there is still a toolbar at the top of IE that I can't get rid of. I clicked on one of the buttons and determined that it is a remnant of Lop.com. I downloaded their removal tool and figured all would be well. Reboot and guess what, it's still there!!! I researched for hours and most of the sites said use the Add/Remove programs or use AdAware or SpyBot. I had been on this for 3 hours by now using the recommended techniques. I finally found Hijack this and ran it on his machine. I carefully went through the log and found the offending registry entries. The machine runs great now! Thank you so much for this wonderful tool! Merry Christmas! Steve

Edited by stevesa, 03 December 2003 - 10:12 PM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 brandon

brandon

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 December 2003 - 10:18 PM

It's a very useful tool, expecially in the hands of someone experienced with spyware.

#3 TW37

TW37

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 December 2003 - 10:19 PM

Hi Steve Congrats with your success. I'm new to this ... where does one find / download HiJack this? Thx.

#4 brandon

brandon

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 December 2003 - 10:20 PM

Here's a direct download link to it:

http://www.spywarein.../hijackthis.zip?

BTW, if you don't have Windows XP and above, you will need an unzipping utility such as Winzip

#5 TW37

TW37

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 December 2003 - 10:25 PM

Brandon- Thanks very much. As it turns out, I am running XP. Thanks again - I really appreciate your help / input.

#6 brandon

brandon

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 December 2003 - 10:48 PM

You're welcome.