stevesa
Topic Starter
I just went through hell with a friends laptop. It was so full of spyware/malware/you-name-it-ware that it would not operate if it was not connected to the internet. When it was connected, there were so many pop-up's that the machine could not be operated. I ran AdAware and it found and repaired, after several re-boots, 210 instances of suspicious files/entries. I thought we were on the road to recovery but the pop-up's continued. I downloaded Spybot and it found and repaired an additional 50 entires. We must be fixed now! No! I manually went through all of the programs installed on the computer and found 5 more that needed to be deleted. In the meantime, I installed Norton AV 2004 and ran all of the WindowUpdates that were necessary. Surely, this must be fixed now. Everything is running OK but, there is still a toolbar at the top of IE that I can't get rid of. I clicked on one of the buttons and determined that it is a remnant of Lop.com. I downloaded their removal tool and figured all would be well. Reboot and guess what, it's still there!!!
I researched for hours and most of the sites said use the Add/Remove programs or use AdAware or SpyBot. I had been on this for 3 hours by now using the recommended techniques. I finally found Hijack this and ran it on his machine. I carefully went through the log and found the offending registry entries. The machine runs great now!
Thank you so much for this wonderful tool!
Merry Christmas!
Steve