This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Discussion

Free Download Programs And Utilities

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

I have a fairly large library of programs I have downloaded from CNET..Twocows…etc.. I am probably not the best judge of weather or not there good so I thought I might post some of the ones that I have had problems with. I recently have had preformance problems, being that I have a different computer now, and I have been trying out different benchmarking tools. PCMark2002 should be a good program and it may be one. It just doesnt run on my system (Pentium 3-500mhz, 512mb RAM, 20gb hdd, ATI 3D Rage Pro AGP x2). It will run itself once (and give's me pooooor marks which I am sure are probably right) but if I try to run it again.. when I open it..it says there was error and need to send it in to M$..etc…etc.. I have preformance problems no doubt, and this program has a ton of bad reviews, but the people who offer this program/service are quite far from dumb. Someone who has comparable system to mine… and is qualified to give a response (anyone other than I) should look at this program and see if its bad reviews can traced back to the user..I think there gettin' a bad rap with the reply's I have read.. http://www.MadOnion.com is the site and I have both 3DMark (older version and for high-end gamers) and PCMark free versions. The error I encountered may simply be that it is free and can be used only once, although it doesnt say that anywhere, and the one time it does run .. on the hdd test it comes back as N/A… I ve looked at everything to try and figure out why and have to come to the conclusion that I simply havent met the requirments that it has to have in order for it to run correctly ie.. clean system.. none/little process' running during test….etc. anyway.. someone check it out and see if it is worth the download.
thanx
Crow
Well in my quest for knowledge on information concerning my CPU.. I found a program that test's rather thoroughly.. its called HotCPU tester.. its free.. and seems to do its job ok..It seems that the help and information window was correct when it stated that CPU usage may register low because at the point in time the messurement was taken it may not have needed to run at its full potential.. so maybe my CPU is intuitive and just dont feel like running at 500mhz all the time.. lol