This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

should computers be turned off at night?

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi everybody,
I am also a long-time computer user, but many problems about it have not been fully understood, I hope everyone will teach more about this issue.
I use my laptop often but always leave it asleep for convenience in work. As you can see is that the problem leading to the reduction in the life of my laptop?
Currently I am also looking for more devices to make my laptop run more stably. Can someone share my laptop upgrade experience? Where should I buy? have coupons or not?
Thank you very much!


Hi everybody,
I am also a long-time computer user, but many problems about it have not been fully understood, I hope everyone will teach more about this issue.
I use my laptop often but always leave it asleep for convenience in work. As you can see is that the problem leading to the reduction in the life of my laptop?
Currently I am also looking for more devices to make my laptop run more stably. Can someone share my laptop upgrade experience? Where should I buy? have coupons or not?
Thank you very much!


I'm going to throw my 2 cents worth out there and maybe personal experience.

I don't turn mine off every night, I allow sleep mode so I can jump on and check for things quickly.
With that said, depending on children and having to do Google classroom, now, some nights it is turned off simply because he knows more now on how to do different things on a computer and It's not a toy.

 

I cannot recall anyone saying before leaving your computer/laptop in sleep mode and wakening it up has a significant pull or aging effect on a computer.

Age is age.

I think shutting it down nightly, rebooting come morning (or whenever) has a wear and tear on the machine eventually as well.

 

Hi everybody,
I am also a long-time computer user, but many problems about it have not been fully understood, I hope everyone will teach more about this issue.
I use my laptop often but always leave it asleep for convenience in work. As you can see is that the problem leading to the reduction in the life of my laptop?
Currently I am also looking for more devices to make my laptop run more stably. Can someone share my laptop upgrade experience? Where should I buy? have coupons or not?
Thank you very much!


I'm going to throw my 2 cents worth out there and maybe personal experience.

I don't turn mine off every night, I allow sleep mode so I can jump on and check for things quickly.
With that said, depending on children and having to do Google classroom, now, some nights it is turned off simply because he knows more now on how to do different things on a computer and It's not a toy.

 

I cannot recall anyone saying before leaving your computer/laptop in sleep mode and wakening it up has a significant pull or aging effect on a computer.

Age is age.

I think shutting it down nightly, rebooting come morning (or whenever) has a wear and tear on the machine eventually as well.

Thanks for your comment, I will try it

When you switch on any electrical device it is cold, and cold devices present more electrical resistance, so therefore draw more current until they warm up. In addition, constantly switching things on and off, cools them down, then heats them up, and this causes physical contraction and expansion in the circuit elements, and the solder that holds them in place.

 

So, switching on and off puts wear on the system.

 

However, electrical devices are also designed to work for a certain amount of time, after which they will start to degrade, so leaving them on constantly also has a degrading effect.

 

In truth, it's almost impossible to say which option will age your machine faster, so just choose which one you prefer.

Thanks Juliet. :)

 

The question as to whether it's better to switch off, or leave on, electrical devices, is an old one. We discussed it when I was in college, way back in the early 80s, and the computer systems we were working with were 8 bit.

 

So all I really had to do, was remember what we'd discussed back then, because the basic physics of the situation haven't really changed much, even if the sophistication of the electronics has.

We didn't discus computers much when I was in college.

 

I'm lazy.  Shutting off and restarting computers takes effort.  My computers get shut off by Microsoft when there is an update that requires a reboot.

 

There is also a fact that the most likely time for any electrical device (Motor, pumps, etc) is on startup.  That is why when I was building railroads, we never shut a locomotive engine off unless we knew we wouldn't need it for at least 5 days.  (Loco engines are actually just a big generator and they run electric motors to drive).  I've built booster pump stations where they are designed with valves and a bypass line so that the pump never shuts off, water just bypasses when things come up to pressure.  I believe there is a lightbulb burning in a firehouse in California (I think) for over 100 years.

 

I'm typing this on my laptop at home.  Mfg date 9/16/2014.  I tend to get every bit of life out of my computers.  This one replaced one mfg date 5/4/2005 That one started overheating after one of the fans went out (probably caused by never shutting off) and I chose to upgrade rather than repairing and trying to get windows 7 to run on it.  That was my first laptop that replaced my desktop I built in 1996 that I only recall turning off when I moved.

 

It's only anecdotal… but I don't believe leaving it on will hurt much.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI