This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Google Drive Backup Still taking up space on SSD

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I need some advice on data management between my laptop and my GDrive; as I'm running out of space on the SSD of the laptop. 

I own a 64 bit, Lenovo Flex6 14 ARR - laptop with a 256 GB SSD; I'm running Windows 10; My applications are exclusively with a desktop version of MS Office and online browsing, mostly on Chrome. 

I made a one time purchase MS Office with a discount from my university and it is much less costly than the yearly payment for Office 365.  

I've also purchased (leasing really) 1 TB of backup storage capability on my GDrive for backup. 

I created a desktop icon for Gdrive and moved all my data files and documents and photos onto the GDrive; and I work exclusively on those documents in the GDrive…I thought. 

But…those data files are still taking up space on the SSD…and, naturally, I'm running out of space on the SSD - and the machine is starting to crawl; rather than blazing like it used to do. I'm guessing the backup and sync GDrive application is duplicating the files on the SSD.  

I spoke to a Google One person and they said that I needed to abandon MS Office and work with Google docs; and disable the Sync.  I'd prefer not to abandon Office as Office is a more robust platform for working on documents (word, excell, powerpoint) than Google Docs. 

I think the problem is mirroring the GDrive to my laptop. So when I create a file in "GDrive" I'm actually creating it on the SSD and then Google is backing up and Syncing it in GDrive.  I'm not sure I need to do this to be able to use MS Office.

I need advice on how (if possible) to continue to use MS Office with files that exclusively reside in the cloud.  I realize that when I don't have internet access, which is never, that I won't be able to access those files.  

I'm guessing what I need to do is disable the sync function in GDrive…but will MS Office still be able to work on those files?  

Well, solo58.  It's been a month and now response.  Sorry about that.

 

I don't use google docs or Gdrive.

 

I just don't know what works there.

 

Have you been able to resolve this on your own?  If so, please share for posterity.

Don't tell anyone, but unless I copy it somewhere else… I don't.

 

If it is important for work.. I copy it to the server at work.  If it's pictures of grandkids, then it's probably on my phone also and if it is a "good" one it is saved on an electronic picture frame that I have.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI