This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

I got a problem with my Dell Computer that's driving me crazy, and

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have a Dell, Inspiron 17, 5000 Series Laptop, that I’ve had for four years.  I have Windows 10 Pro operating system, and I normally use Firefox and Chrome as my browsers, while using two external monitors.  I recently (3-4 months ago) was provided a new hard drive, via warranty.  Soon after doing so, my I initially believed that I had a malware virus when my system started to go haywire.  I’ve had the following issues:

  1. I could be typing in Word, or attempting to search the web, the windows search would engage, thereby interrupting my progress (NOTE:  I contacted Dell, and somehow disabled Windows search, but they rigged it somehow that I can now search in Outlook, but I don’t think it is fully functional.)
  2. Specifically, my mouse often appears to be in the mode of completing an action, due to the circling next to my mouse pointer.
  3. Intermittingly when I’m in my Outlook Mail, and I hold my shift key and my down error to highlight messages for delete, one would think that I’ve right click to bring up the menu, but I didn’t do so.  This extends my time to delete messages.

Believing that I thought I was experiencing Malware issues, I contacted the Spybot forum, and Juliet, Security Expert, attempted to assist me.  After working with her and troubleshooting issues, she determined that I don’t have malware on my system, but recommended that I try this forum to determine if I can find assistance.  Otherwise, I’ll probably need to purchase a new machine.  Thanks in advance!

Hi Bigalo and welcome to our forums.

:welcome:

 

1 Is this the topic over at Spybot that you mentioned?

 

https://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?77497-I-got-a-problem-that-s-driving-me-crazy-and-I-can-t-fix-it-Please-help-me!!!!

 

2 When he new hard drive was installed  was it installed by you or by Dell?

 

3 was the operating system (Win 10) reinstalled on it by Dell or did you do it yourself ? 

 

4 Have you run the "All in One repair tool" by Tweaking.com?

 

5 Have you tried booting into a Live distro of Linux? ( Puppy is good) does the mouse still have issues, when in Linux?

 

Sorry for all the questions but the answers will help us determine the next steps.

Regards

paws

Paws:

 

Please see the answers to your questions below in bold red.
 
1 Is this the topic over at Spybot that you mentioned?
 
https://forums.spybo…ase-help-me!!!!
 

Yes.  I titled it the same, as Juliet stated that this forum could access the information to determine steps that had been conducted.

2 When he new hard drive was installed  was it installed by you or by Dell?

 

I shipped my computer to Dell and they installed it and returned it back to me.
 
3 was the operating system (Win 10) reinstalled on it by Dell or did you do it yourself ? 

 

Dell reinstalled it and shipped the computer back to me.  With the help of Dell, I downloaded the purchased software that I purchased originally, e.g., Adobe Professional, Cyberlink, etc…
 
4 Have you run the "All in One repair tool" by Tweaking.com?

 

I haven't.  I've only completed the steps presented to me by Juliet on the Spybot forum.
 
5 Have you tried booting into a Live distro of Linux? ( Puppy is good) does the mouse still have issues, when in Linux?

 

I haven't, as I'm not familiar with Linux. 
 
Sorry for all the questions but the answers will help us determine the next steps.

 

No need to be sorry.  I appreciate you taking the time to help me.  I'm just hoping that I won't have to purchase a new computer at this time.  Other priorities.

 

Thanks again!

Bigalo

Paws:

 

In addition to the earlier message that I responded too, I just noticed a new error that I'm getting.  When I attempted to right click on the Desktop, and select either the Display Settings or Personalize link, I get the error message that's titled "ms-settings:display," and the message reads "This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action.  Please install an app or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Apps Settings page."

 

I've never had this before. 

Apologies for the delay in replying to you (real life stuff just got in the way!)

 

Here's a suggested plan of attack for your consideration.(there's a number of possibilities…potential culprits responsible for the issues you have experienced) (including the possibility that your computer has just gone bad ( hardware components failing etc.) and the plan of attack will attempt to narrow down the suspects.

 

1 Check your backups, and then double check them, make sure that everything that is important to you on the computer  (stuff you would not like to lose) is fully and accurately backed up with at least 3 copies ( kept separately from this computer) with one copy kept remotely offsite on removable media. Ensure that the back up works..!  A disc image, up to date and verified is needed unless you have a current one that you just created… Macrium Reflect ( Free version) is good and if you use this make sure you also create the emergency boot media using the Macrium wizard Useful link:

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

 

2 Create  a new User Profile with Admin privileges, log into it and see if it solves any of your issues… if it does let me know which ones and which ones remain. and advise how the computer is behaving Here's a link:

https://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/121165-re-create-user-profile-windows

 

3 Go to Tweaking.com and download the All In One Repair Tool. Make sure you follow the directions to the letter. Run the tool and allow it to make any changes following the checks that it performs..When it has finished (could take several hours) boot back into normal mode and see if there are any remaining issues… report back on how it behaves after running the tool/repairs. Useful link:

https://www.tweaking.com/

 

4 Download Linux Puppy, create a disc (burn it as an image to CD), boot from it, altering the BIOS if necessary to set the boot priority as Optical drive as Priority one followed by your hard drive as Priority number two ( dont forget to save changes on exit from BIOS and keep the newly burned disc in the CD tray when you reboot. See if Puppy still has the Mouse issues…. please let me know if the mouse works Ok in Puppy.  Also check that it can read your files Ok and access the Internet OK .As you mentioned you are not too familiar with Linux it would be better to use a Wired ( Ethernet connection) for your internet access in Puppy rather than Wi fi .(when you have finished completely with Puppy you could, if you wish, alter the boot priority back to how it was initially with your hard drive as Priority One.  Usefull link for Puppy:

http://puppylinux.com/

 

These steps may take a little time and effort on your behalf but may provide an insight into the best way forward. Post back and let us know how you get on.

Regards

paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI