Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Windows 10 Desktop Replaced

Best Answer Gary R , 10 June 2020 - 01:43 AM

Temp profile creation, though not a frequent experience for most people, is not at all uncommon, if you have problems with them again, then the following article will talk you through how to deal with them if they occur ....https://www.tenforum...ndows... Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Tech2

Tech2

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 08:40 AM

Okay, I know, sounds crazy - but this morning I turn on my computer and I had no idea what was going on. My desktop was completely replaced by (what seemed to be) a start-up desktop. All my apps and data on the desktop were gone (including the wallpaper) although the start-up menu had some of them. I restarted my computer twice until it finally returned to a my normal desktop (pin screen is still just blue and not the normal picture background). Anyone have an idea of whats going on?

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 06 June 2020 - 07:29 PM

What shows under C:\Users? Sounds like Windows 10 created a new, temporary user for you because it couldn't read your normal one. See if there aere any new users that with strange names. This is mine:

Users.jpg

See if any of your have a .000 or simalr after it, that would verify what I am guessing.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#3 Tech2

Tech2

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 June 2020 - 05:27 AM

I have a Temp Folder which is empty aside from my normal and Public Folder.  No zeros appear anywhere. So, why would Windows 10 have a problem reading my default Folder and how could it correct itself after reboot?

#4 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Posted 07 June 2020 - 11:39 PM

Did it run Automatic repair at any time? One of the things that does is run chkdsk /f against the boot drive which could have fixed a corrupted file/folder.

Rich

#5 Tech2

Tech2

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 June 2020 - 08:16 AM

It never ran automatic repair anytime I'm aware of - it just corrected itself on reboot. Call me paranoid or crazy but I believe Microsoft (through Windows 10) downloads everything on our computers and has all our information - kind of explains the mad rush forcing everyone to use Windows 10 - even giving free upgrades (highly unusual). Anyway, hope this doesn't keep happening.

#6 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 08 June 2020 - 02:05 PM

Are you doing image backups using a program like Macrium Reflect (free or Home)? If not you should be. It's the only sure way to guarantee your data safety and a quick and easy way to recover in case of a Windows or hard drive failure.

You can pick up an external 1TB USB 3.0 SATA III drive for around $50 now days, which makes a perfect medium to backup to. 20-30 minutes to recover from any problem, even replacing a failed hard drive or SSD.

Edited by Ztruker, 08 June 2020 - 02:06 PM.

• Tech2 likes this

Rich

#7 Tech2

Tech2

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 June 2020 - 06:44 AM

I have always created an image of my hard drive and have one now.
Thanks

#8 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 09 June 2020 - 10:39 PM

Excellent, glad to hear it.

Rich

#9 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Administrator

• MRU Teachers
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 01:43 AM   Best Answer

Temp profile creation, though not a frequent experience for most people, is not at all uncommon, if you have problems with them again, then the following article will talk you through how to deal with them if they occur ....https://www.tenforum...ndows-10-a.html

I've seen quite a few people suffering with them just lately, but so far have not been able to establish any one particular root cause.

• Tech2 likes this

#10 Tech2

Tech2

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 05:31 AM

Thank you, I will keep this information hoping this won't happen again.