This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows 10 Desktop Replaced

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Okay, I know, sounds crazy - but this morning I turn on my computer and I had no idea what was going on. My desktop was completely replaced by (what seemed to be) a start-up desktop. All my apps and data on the desktop were gone (including the wallpaper) although the start-up menu had some of them. I restarted my computer twice until it finally returned to a my normal desktop (pin screen is still just blue and not the normal picture background). Anyone have an idea of whats going on?

What shows under C:\Users? Sounds like Windows 10 created a new, temporary user for you because it couldn't read your normal one. See if there aere any new users that with strange names. This is mine:
 
📎Users.jpg

See if any of your have a .000 or simalr after it, that would verify what I am guessing.

I have a Temp Folder which is empty aside from my normal and Public Folder.  No zeros appear anywhere. So, why would Windows 10 have a problem reading my default Folder and how could it correct itself after reboot?

Did it run Automatic repair at any time? One of the things that does is run chkdsk /f against the boot drive which could have fixed a corrupted file/folder.

It never ran automatic repair anytime I'm aware of - it just corrected itself on reboot. Call me paranoid or crazy but I believe Microsoft (through Windows 10) downloads everything on our computers and has all our information - kind of explains the mad rush forcing everyone to use Windows 10 - even giving free upgrades (highly unusual). Anyway, hope this doesn't keep happening.

Are you doing image backups using a program like Macrium Reflect (free or Home)? If not you should be. It's the only sure way to guarantee your data safety and a quick and easy way to recover in case of a Windows or hard drive failure.

 

You can pick up an external 1TB USB 3.0 SATA III drive for around $50 now days, which makes a perfect medium to backup to. 20-30 minutes to recover from any problem, even replacing a failed hard drive or SSD.

Temp profile creation, though not a frequent experience for most people, is not at all uncommon, if you have problems with them again, then the following article will talk you through how to deal with them if they occur ….https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/48012-fix-youve-been-signed-temporary-profile-windows-10-a.html

 

I've seen quite a few people suffering with them just lately, but so far have not been able to establish any one particular root cause.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI