This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

PDF for safe keeping

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I received 32 pages of my Doctors records in a 350 KB PDF file. I would like to save it for future use. I am aware the inherent danger with PDF. The content is of value only to me such as blood work etc.

Is the best way to keep this safely 1- converted to Word, 2- in an external drive which is usually not connected 3- in a cloud mail service 4-in a cloud or 5- in My Docs where it is now? I do not have Adobe products.

Peter,

 

You said, "I am aware the inherent danger with PDF."

 

Apparently I'm not.  What is the danger you are referring to?

 

In response to your question…there are probably 100 "correct" answers.  Per my normal mode of operation, here are a few rambling thoughts.  I don't know anything about your medical clinic, but I thought I'd mention that I'm actually fairly impressed with the access to medical records that are available these days.  My wife has had the same doctor for twenty years.  She has several medical issues so besides her primary care physician, she has a urologist, a gastroenterologist, a gynecologist, a neurologist,…and a few more.  The neat thing is that all of the doctors are referred by her primary, so they all report back to him.  I can log on to his clinics website at any time.  I can bring up notes/reports from any visit in the last five years, including test results, etc.  This also allows me to check and make sure all of her prescription information is up to date.  As you probably, know, the first thing they always ask at a medical appointment (or a trip to the hospital) is "Are you on any medications".  I just pull out my phone, fire up the app, and provide whatever information is pertinent at the time.  Because of this…I don't actually find it necessary to keep any other copy of medical records, except for I do keep her prescription list on my phone in a OneNote file as I use it weekly to fill her pill box and this list is what I use to verify the prescriptions on her chart.  Over the years, I have found that I do a better job keeping that current than her Drs do.

 

None of that helps answer the question you asked.

1) I cannot think of any reason to convert this information to a Word doc.  While I have, often, converted a .doc to a .pdf for archiving/storage, I have never converted a .pdf to a doc for storage.  In fact, often .pdf's or parts of them cannot be "converted" to .doc files unless they are attached as an image, and I just don't see the point in that. Besides, that's a file format, not a storage method.

2) I see nothing wrong with storing the information on an external drive.  In fact, if I wanted to store information like you have described, I would put it on a thumb drive and save it wherever was appropriate.

3) or 4) I'm not sure what a cloud mail service is, but I have nothing against cloud storage like OneDrive or Dropbox.  Basically, as I described above, my wifes medical records are in cloud storage.  (Technically, so are mine, but there is virtually nothing there.  I get a CDL physical every two years, but this information isn't sent to anyone but the DOT.  The easiest and cheapest way for me to do this is at an immediate care clinic, and I don't send it to any dr.)

5) I see nothing wrong with storing the information in your My Docs or any other folder on your system that you want to use.  I don't see anything magical about one place vs another.

 

I'm not sure I truly answered your query, but you are welcome to my thoughts. :)

Hi Tom

I too have access through a portal to many of my docs which is good in many ways.

The am comfortable with the information you have given me about PDF's.

I did see something about code and worms. 

PDF's are  new to me. I have never used them before.

I do have the information stored in a couple of places so it is safe. I just didn't know if it would affect the machine/PC or storage devices. 

Thanks  for all your helpful information.

I live in the DC area, actually in Maryland, and it's quite congested here, so it takes a long time to get things done even with the digital devices. Doctors are very busy here. I came from MA., then FL. and now  MD so see the difference is obvious.

Talk again

Peter

Pete, if you don't want Adobe (why?) then use Foxit PDF Reader. As for backup, keep it in your documents and it will be backed up as part of your normal Macrium Backup image.

 

As Tom said, no need to convert to any other format or store anywhere else.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI