This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Widows 7 pro continued use question.

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I find that for various reasons I must continue to use Win 7 Pro into next year and beyond.I will only be connecting to the web in order to send a monthly report to a friend using Office 2000 and running several older programs that are not web bound that I cannot afford to change.My question is what is the best protection for me while I am on the web for the few minutes needed to send my report?

I will be visiting the web using Linux Mint as an operating system for most browsing as I have it running on a completely separate SSD.But I want to be sure the short interval I am on the web using Win 7 I will be fairly safe.  

Hi Bennon and welcome.

 

I too have a 64-bit Windows 7 as well as a Windows 10 and still prefer to use the Win 7. I have every intention of making use of updates until the 14th January but will still continue to use Windows 7 after that.

 

Windows updates are not the only thing that will protect your PC. I have MSE, Win Patrol and Malwarebytes Premium - between them I have every confidence that as long as I don't go to dodgy websites, don't download anything unless it is a source known to me and don't click on links from e-mails, then I should be OK to use it for a while. You should be too if you avoid the obvious sources of infection. Using the Internet does not leave you vulnerable unless you use unsafe practices.

 

NOTE: I'm not a techy and I deal with malware removal, so this is not an expert opinion and I'm probably giving the nod that a techy would not.

 

Satchfan

Thank you both very much! I don't do questionable sites and will only use Windows occasionally. I had not considered Sandboxing my browser so will give that a look!

As well as the excellent advice already given, its worth noting that Office 2000 has not had support/security updates for years…..

 

It would be wise to make  disc images (using something like Macrium Reflect Free or one of the many other imaging tools/utilities)  so in the event of trouble developing at some time in the future you could just re-image and have your machine up and running again in less time than it takes to walk the dog!

 

External hard drives can be used to keep the disc images but keep them disconnected from your computer when not actually being used!

Regards

paws

Thank you very much for your reply but I will tell you I have already done so! I have backed up everything and just need Office 2000 for one older friend on the web.The majority of my web use will be with Linux and I will in those cases use Libre Office

Just an additional thought, as far as I'm aware, Microsoft is terminating support for Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) from the same date that support for Win 7 ends

 

(14th January 2020)

 

Many folks will need to act fairly quickly if they want to remain protected.

Regards

paws

Microsoft Employee Mike Cure said that MSE would still get signature updates after January 14th.

 

See this article.

Are you guys comfortable with MSE? I have been using AVG free and except for the occasional pop-up and have had no problems.Do you have any better suggestions for virus protection?  

Personally, I'd rather have NO antivirus, (AV), than use AVG. AVG has now been acquired by Avast and, although Avast was for a long time most people's choice for a free AV, they seem to have taken their eye off the ball in the last 12 months and I'd no longer recommend it. See this.

My choice, with the uncertain long term future of MSE, would be either Kaspersky Free Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition.

Thanks Nina, yes good to hear that sig updates will still be available…. (even though it looks as though the programme itself will not be updated)

I have always been very happy with MSE in the past, fingers crossed it will continue for those of us who still have the odd Win 7 machine in service.

Regards

paws

I have always been very happy with MSE in the past

Me too Nigel. I still have it on my Win 7 machine and it has served me well.

 

Regards

 

Nina

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI