Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

System Image

Best Answer wesi , 03 October 2019 - 01:43 AM

Thank you very much. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wesi

wesi

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 01:35 PM

Lenovo 450     Win10 Pro.

Will some kind soul provide a link which I can use

to learn to create  a System Image, in case something goes wrong

with my os.

Thank you.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 02 October 2019 - 03:39 PM

I recommend Macrium Reflect Free edition. The best way to use it is to buy an external USB hard drive. You can pick up one from Amazon or similar places on the internet for $50 - $60 for a 1TB drive. I have a couple Samsung Canvio 1TB 7200 RPM drives that I use. Got one on sale for $49, the other for $59. Worth every penny.

Samsung Canvio drive.jpg

A lot of good info on using it here: Backup, imaging and cloning

A detailed tutorial here: How to Create and Restore a System Image Backup with Macrium Reflect

Edited by Ztruker, 02 October 2019 - 03:41 PM.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#3 wesi

wesi

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 01:43 AM   Best Answer

Thank you very much.

#4 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Posted 03 October 2019 - 07:26 PM

You're welcome, good luck.

Rich

#5 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Administrator

• MRU Teachers
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 10:45 AM

If you don't want to use a 3rd Party Utility like Macrium, then instructions for creating a System Image using W10's inbuilt tools can be found at ... https://www.tenforum...ndows-10-a.html

#6 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 08:02 PM

Not meaning to be disagreeable Gary but I would not recommend using Backup and Restore (Windows 7). It's terrible and often doesn't work right.

Macrium is the way to go. It is rock solid.

In this case there is no good reason not to use it, unless you know something I don't.

Rich

#7 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Administrator

• MRU Teachers
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 10:18 PM

I use Macrium myself, but I have had occasions (well one occasion really) when my machine has failed to restore from a Macrium image, so when that happened I was glad I had the additional security of a Windows image, which my computer did restore from.

Please understand that I am not in any way disparaging Macrium, as I said I use it myself, and it has saved me on a number of occasions, but like all products it is possible for it to fail, and so I believe it is always a good procedure to have more than one restore options available for when you might need them.

#8 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 09:49 AM

I understand Gary. Didn't mean to sound accusatory, sorry. I reacted so negatively because of several threads on other forums where people used Backup and Restore (Windows 7) and could not restore when it was need.

Multiple methods is an excellent idea but it's tough just to get people to do any kind of backup.

Personally, I use System Restore (iffy), Macrium and a program called Mirror Folder. Never lost a byte of data (knock on wood).

Rich

#9 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Administrator

• MRU Teachers
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 11:07 AM

No problem Rich, I agree Backup and Restore (Windows 7) is probably not the best option, and Macrium has a well proven track record, and is recommended by many.

Maybe I should have phrased my post a little differently and made my meaning more clear, but to be honest I was just about to go out when I posted, so I rushed things a bit.