Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

FN key

Best Answer wesi , 10 August 2019 - 11:31 AM

Yes I did use MCT but did not know I could use it to create  usb. Ah,one learns something new everyday. Thank you for the help Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 wesi

wesi

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 01:21 AM

pc.  Lenevo K450.

Keyboard   Logitech. Have 2 keys. One with 4 ms squares, other a square with 4 dashes in it.

Which is the FN key? Please.

will FN key give me  One time boot option or do I have to use some other?

Will be grateful for a reply.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 05:09 AM

Hi, Your Lenovo K450 will work with practically any keyboard, and there are literally hundreds of them that will fit. The layout is generally similar on most of them but there are variations. Unfortunately I do not know what you mean about

"4 ms squares and the other with 4 dashes in it"

maybe your Logitech documentation will shed some light on it?

A Function key will usually have the letters FN or Fn inscribed on it, sometimes these are inscribed in blue rather than the usual colour.

Boot options are usually set in the BIOS or UEFI and can be accessed via the specific key F2 ( note this is nothing to do with the Fn key) but F2 should take you into the set up utility where you can make alterations...BUT do please be very careful don't alter anything you are unsure of....

The F2 key is usually to be found towards the top of the keyboard often above the numeral 1 or Exclamation mark key.

For the key that will set the  "one time boot order" see your owners manual.

Regards

paws

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 wesi

wesi

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 05:27 AM

Thank you.

2 keys  one between ctrl and alt bottom left,this has the 4 squares we see from microsoft on the screen while booting.

two is between alt gr and ctrl right side. it has a square with 4 dases up/down within it.

If these have nothing to do with boot option then they are not important. I will read the book again. I have downloaded

win 10 from ms and will put it on stck  using  Rufus. Never used it before!!  to install win 10 instead of 7 now.I read about

Fn key giving boot option when using rufus. But not to worry.

Thank you once again for your help.

#4 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 09 August 2019 - 07:19 PM

They are what is called the Windows key.

For the Lenovo K450 (I have one), press F12 as soon as you see the Lenovo logo to get to the Boot Option Menu (One time boot menu)

Follow this tutorial: Clean Install Windows 10

Is your drive setup as MBR or GPT? When using Rufus it makes a big difference. An alternative that will work with any combination of BIOS/CSM-MBR or UEFI/MBR/GPT, do the following manual; process. Looks complicated but really isn't

Here is a manual (non-Rufus) procedure originally posted by @NavyLCDR that I recorded and saved (with slight modifications). I've used it many times now and it works under all boot conditions, UEFI/GPT/MBR or CSM/MBR.

1. Use the Media Creation Tool to download and save the Windows 10 ISO file you need to your hard drive.
2. Insert the USB flash drive.
3. Open a Administrator Command Prompt. It will say Administrator Command Prompt in the Title bar. Enter the following commands:
4. diskpart
5. list disk
6. select disk # <- replace # with the actual disk number of the USB flash drive
7. clean <- this will erase the disk selected above, make sure you selected the USB flash drive!
7a. If the flash drive shows as GPT then you need to convert it to MBR: convert mbr
8. create part pri
8a. sel part 1
9. format fs=fat32 quick
9a. assign
10. active
11. exit
12. exit - and if the first Command Prompt was not an Administrator Command Prompt, exit that one too.
13. Mount the ISO you downloaded. If you are using Windows 8 or 10, you only have to right click on it and click on mount. If you are using Windows 7, then you must use a program like WinCDEmu to mount the ISO file:
WinCDEmu - the easiest way to mount an ISO. And more...
14. Copy all the files and folders from the mounted ISO file to the USB flash drive.

That's as simple as it gets. Between steps 7 and 8 you can enter: "select part 1" without quotes - but it should not be necessary.

Edited by Ztruker, 09 August 2019 - 07:24 PM.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#5 wesi

wesi

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 01:57 AM

Thank you very much. Will do as advised.

One last question:    How does one operate rufus as   Administrator? Please

Edited by wesi, 10 August 2019 - 04:42 AM.

#6 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Posted 10 August 2019 - 10:37 AM

Right click on it and select Run as Administrator, but why would you need to do this? Nothing Rufus does requires Administrator level access that I'm aware of.

Edited by Ztruker, 10 August 2019 - 10:38 AM.

Rich

#7 wesi

wesi

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 10:58 AM

when looking for Rufus I read on a site that if I wanted a bootable usb stick I

must run rufus as administrator.

I have to use rufus because the ISO  downloaded from Microsoft is bigger

then  a DVD will take.You are the expert,so I wont bother about Administrator.

Thank you very much for your help.

#8 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 11:17 AM

I prefer the manual method I posted. It always works, but give Rufus a try if you want.

An even easier method is to use the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft (which you probably did use) and let it create the USB flash drive for you insted of creating the ISO. That way you are guaranteed it will work.

Lots of possibilities :D

Rich

#9 wesi

wesi

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 11:31 AM   Best Answer

Yes I did use MCT but did not know I could use it to create  usb.

Ah,one learns something new everyday.

Thank you for the help

#10 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 03:26 PM

You're welcome.

Good luck.

Rich