Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Cortana ---- or search ? --- pops up all the time, Win 10

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 denno

denno

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Interests:Raising Golden Retrievers; folk-rock and Irish music (what I do); reading; DIY; websites; writing

Posted 22 July 2019 - 06:38 PM

Greetings

This appears to be a universal problem, but all the fixes seem to involve settings on the touchpad, and I have mine turned off.

A big busy box keeps opening itself.  It is the one you get with the magnifying glass icon in the taskbar. lower left.
When I search Google it always says it is Cortana popping up, so I dunno.   It comes up apparently randomly.  I have to click on another part of the screen to get it to vanish.  Sometimes it plays a game with me where it is on-off-on-of  or 8 times before it quits.  This happens every session.

When this is being repetitive, my mouse cursor seems glued to the lower left corner of the desktop, too.

ADDENDUM::OK, midnight-thirty just now,  for the first time the same thing happened only it was the window you get with the Windows button.

I posted this on a Windows forum, got instructions, posted back that some settings window in the sequence did not look like, nor had such-ad-such a choice offered; sent screen shots of what actually came up.....and heard no more from that person.

Anybody here have knowledge of this one?

The Googled suggestions all say to turn off gestures on the touchpad; or try a USB mouse, or even go in the registry.  I've done that upon occasion, but it was always just to change, add, or remove one line.  This seemed to be switching off-----TOUCHPAD GESTURES.

Anyhow, it is quite the pain in the (Cortana) app. 

I don't mind having an onscreen search box when I call it up.  It's sometimes useful for finding the right page in the non-intuitive Settings, for instance.  But I could live without it, if it takes shutting Cortana down.  I read where it used to be a single switch, but not any more.  (Whoever is designing Windows 11 needs to consult a simpleton like me!)

denno

Edited by denno, 23 July 2019 - 06:23 AM.

• Sofedup1981 likes this

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Global Moderator
  • 20,451 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 09:00 AM

denno,

It appears that you've stumped our experts.

I don't have Windows  so I can't even try to do some troubeshooting to try to determine what you are seeing.

Tomk
------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft MVP 2010-2014

#3 denno

denno

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Interests:Raising Golden Retrievers; folk-rock and Irish music (what I do); reading; DIY; websites; writing

Posted 11 August 2019 - 11:04 AM

Yeah, Ztruker advises a clean reinstall of Windows, so I am prepping to do that.