I'm ready to start using a Win 10 computer. What is the best, easiest, safest way to transfer files from one computer to another. I have a HP desktop 5800 with Win 7 and a referb HP desktop 6300 with a Win 10 new install. I have a couple of external HD's as backups (clones) with everything on them. Can I install one in the new machine as a second drive and then transfer to the C drive what I need when I need it?
I would be inclined to leave your disc clones as they are and use a flash drive or external usb drive to copy across the files you wish to copy to your new machine.
Can I install one in the new machine as a second drive and then transfer to the C drive what I need when I need it?
Thanks, Johnny
This should work fine since you won't be booting from it, just reading from it to copy data to the Win 10 drive. I prefer to just copy data over my local network between system. In your case from the Win 7 to the Win 10 system, but installing the disk then copying from it removes all the networking hassle and is a whole lot faster.
I used a flash drive for some picture folders and some other data stuff and it worked really well. I'm now trying to figure how to get my email address book and saved emails transferred over. And Somehow I have to get my passwords over too. I did a "final" clone of the Win 7 machine on a removable HD so all the information should be available there. I just hope I'm not bringing over any nasty stuff.
Thanks for the help,
Johnny
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI