This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Problems with boot

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi!

 

I have two old desktops with the same issue; they do not boot from other drive than the hard disc C: drive. They also do not run some applications.

 

The desktop I'm using right now have this odd behavior: it doesn't detect the keyboard just before the windows boot. By that I mean if the inicialization requires that I make a choice inside the black DOS-like screen before the loading of the OS, it will only result in the machine choosing by itself the default option which is preconfigured. I detail this: if there's a blackout in the neighborhood's power lines, when the energy is back and the computer loads, one can get a black screen message saying that Windows wasn't turned off properly and then we are prompted to, say, "a)Load Windows normally b)Load command prompt c)Load Safe Mode c)Run a scandisk", etc. But the option that the system defaults in case no key is pressed after 10 seconds will always be the one who runs, because nothing happens there when any keys is pressed.

 

I tried to wipe this hard drive with DBan; the drive loads the autorun, then, in the blue screen that prompts us to choose between strike F10 to run DBan in automode or press Enter to enter manual setup the whole operation stops because the keyboard is not detected and there's no default automatic option. I just sit there and stare at that blue DOS-like screen.

 

I put the Windows installation CD to run a new OS installation; the system asks for me to "press any key to boot from CD" and then loads Windows normally, because there's no point in pressing anything; nothing happens. And the normal boot goes on.

 

If I keep the same Installation CD in the drive after the normal boot, it will detect nothing inside Windows (and the CD will spin like crazy inside the drive). Otherwise, if i put an audio CD, it will be detected and it will play normally with Windows Media.

 

Some applications just will not run. The example I have here is the executable file for the installation of LibreOffice 6 (32 bits version). You click; nothing happens.

 

I heard it may be some problem with the BIOS and have downloaded the updates from the manufacturer, but I don't know what to do with them. They seem not to install anything if we just run them inside Windows. I heard we have to boot from a pendrive and then run it down there, but will it work if the keyboard fails?

 

Can you help me?
Many thanks in advance,

 

Pablo

 

Desktop configuration:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-945GCM-S2C (https://www.gigabyte.com/br/Motherboard/GA-945GCM-S2C-rev-10)

Processor: Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2160 @ 1.80 GHz

Hard disc: Hitachi HDS721616PLA380 with 160 GB storage capacity

CD Rom drive: Samsung DVD-R/RW model TS-H552

Hi Pablo,

Sorry to hear of the problems you have been experiencing.

 

It sounds as though you have not just one problem with the computer but several… :(

 

Here is a suggested plan that hopefully will help you:

 

1 when the computer is fully shut down (not a sleep or hibernate) disconnect all wires from the computer both front and back

(label them if required to assist in reconnecting)

 

2 With NO wires at all connected, press and hold in for 30 seconds the power on switch.

 

3 Wait 30 seconds and then repeat step 2 above.

 

4 Next plug in and secure the VDU ( screen) connector, then a PS2 mouse ( must be a PS2 not a wireless or USB) and remember it goes in the socket coloured green (usually) at the back of the computer, next plug in a PS2 keyboard which has been tested in another machine and proven to work into the socket at the back of the computer coloured purple (usually!)…..do not attempt to use either a wireless or USB mouse or keyboard, only a PS2, finally plug in the power cord ensuring that the voltage selector ( if fitted)  on the back of computer is set to the correct voltage for your electricity supply…..Do not connect any other wires for the moment :P .

 

5 Start up the machine and enter the BIOS (you must start tapping once per second the correct key) if you are too slow in starting tapping the correct key, the computer will boot into Windows, if it does boot into Windows then test the computer by opening notepad and seeing if you can type a few words to see if the keyboard is now responding……. report back please on exactly what happens…

 

6 To enter the BIOS close down the computer again and wait 30 seconds with a blank black screen then power back on and immediately start tapping once per second the correct key to enter the BIOS…… the correct key is usually notified on the screen immediately on start up and may be called "system set up" or BIOS or just "set up" it will also be displayed in the owners handbook for the computer/motherboard concerned. Common BIOS entry screen keys are Escape, F2 or Delete, but if you are having difficulty in getting into the BIOS then please report back on exactly what is happening ( remember you must start tapping once per second the appropriate key immediately upon pressing the power on switch)

 

7 If you manage to enter the BIOS then look for the setting that will labelled something like "Boot Priority" and set Boot priority device number one as

  "Optical drive"( CD/DVD)

    set Boot Priority number two to Hard Drive 0.

    set boot Priority  number three to Hard drive 01 

   The others do not matter at the moment, save the changes you have made and with your Windows installation CD/DVD in the CD tray exit the BIOS( remember to save the changes) and your machine will attempt to restart.

 

8 You should see a message on screen to the effect" Press any key to Boot from CD" if you see this message then press the spacebar once.

 

9 Your computer should now display the Windows set up menu

 

Report back and let us know how you get on….

 

If these steps do not provide a good result for you then it is indicating that you have probably a hardware issue with the computer or its peripherals.

Regards

paws 

Hi, Paws!

 

Thanks for your caring attention.

 

I am still able to enter the setup normally. This desktop uses the F8 key, and I can edit and save changes even with my USB keyboard. But I was really suspecting it can't be detected inside the inbetween screens prior to Windows boot because it's not PS2. Since PS2 peripherals aren't easy to find these days, I'll look after them and as soon I get the tests done I'll reply to you once more.

 

See you soon,

Pablo

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI