This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

pc will not boot up

27 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Good morning I hope someone can help To tell you a little bit - something called security centre took over my pc - I tried various scans whilst working in safe mode to no avail. It has now got worse and the computer will not boot up at all. I am now looking at a black screen telling me that windows did not start correctly and I have various options safe mode - safe mode with networking safe mode with comand prompt - last known good configuration and start windows normally Pressing the … with command prompt - I get a long list of lines of text starting with multi(0)disk and various other words and numbers After that a blue screen comes up with registry file problem this stops on for around 4 seconds - the pc then goes to sleep and I am back to the black screen described earlier - if I leave it on this screen it looks like it is booting up but then the screen goes blank and then goes to sleep again - this if I leave it goes on and on and on ?? I really hope someone can help - I am not an expert so any simple instructions will be grateful With Thanks Paul
Paul, most likely this problem is related to your malware infection. Many of those fake anti-virus programs come with a rootkit. Removing it improperly will cause the system to no longer boot.

Please, choose the option to "disable automatic restart on system failure" when that meny comes up. This will give you time to see the blue screen. Once you have the message from the blue screen please post in our malware thread with that information as well as what scans you have done and any logs you may still have.

Read here: http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=106388

Post the new topic here: http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=106388

They will assist you in the recovery of your system by hopefully helping you replace the damaged files.

If they find your system to be clean and you still have problems, you can come back here and follow up in this thread and we can go from there.
Hi badger,

You mean how to disable automatic restart on system failure?
To do this
  • Open Control Panel.
  • Double-click System to open it.
  • In the System Properties window, click on the Advanced tab
  • Under the Startup and Recovery area and click on the Settings button.
  • In the Startup and Recovery window, click on the box beside Automatically restart to uncheck it.
  • Click OK.
hello Great advice - but I never get as far as the control panel ? it isalways in boot up mode but never boots up ?? arghh I hope someone can really help ? Paul
badger1badger - You have placed us in a bit of a predicament. You see, the technicians here are not supposed to help you when there is a possible malware infection. You began a malware thread where LDTate offered his assistance, but it has been closed due to inactivity. Until your computer has been inspected and cleaned by one of our malware removal specialists I am unable to offer much advice to you. Your slow response to these threads is making it difficult to help you also, and results in threads being closed that you are receiving help in. If we are to help you with this problem then you will need to make a committment to follow through in these threads regularly until the problem is resolved. And most importantly, only participate in ONE thread pertaining to ONE problem. Please do not create multiple threads about the same problem. Please follow my instructions carefully. When you turn your computer on, and the menu comes up that tells you Windows did not start properly and it gives you options for safe mode, normal mode, etc. Please look for the option called "Disable automatic restart on system failure." If you DO NOT see this option, then you need to select "normal startup" (Use your arrow keys and press ENTER on the option.) and then IMMEDIATELY start pressing the F8 key quickly and repeatedly and in a very brief moment a second startup menu should appear that is very similar to the original one, but on this one you will have the option to choose "disable automatic restart on system failure." Please choose "disable automatic restart on system failure." Your system will now boot and go through the same process, however, this time, when you see the blue screen the system WILL NOT RESTART automatically. It will give you time to record what the message says in detail. Please post back in your next message with all the details of the blue screen message so that we may determine what is going on. From there I can determine if this is a malware issue, or a tech issue I need to deal with before re-opening your thread with LDTate. Please respond ASAP so we can get this problem resolved.
Hi Apple My appologies for being quiet - we have had some family issues to sort out —– I do intend to follow the thread until completion Regards Paul
Hi guys I have followed the instructions carefully to stop the system restarting Below I have copied word for word what it says on the blue screen STOP: C0000218 {Registry File Failure } The registry cannot load the hive (file): \SystemRoot\System32\Config\SECURITY or its log or alternate It is corrupt, absent, or non writable Looking forward to some help and guidance thro this problem Many Thanks Paul :pullhair:
Hello Paul. Sorry about the delay.

First, lets attempt to check your file system for trouble and repair any file damage that may be causing your registry problem.

You will need to access the Windows Recovery Console and run the CHKDSK /R command. Here are instructions on how to do that:

http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=95574

There is a good chance your system will boot after this. Please do not do anything else until reporting back here and allowing me to evaluate your situation. Do not forget there is still the possibility of a malware infection at play here and we need to make sure this is handled properly.

If your system does not boot after running the chkdsk /r command from recovery console, then we will review some instructions on how to repair your corrupted registry.

Again, please do not do anything else with this computer other than what I have instructed even if it starts booting again. Thanks.
Hi apple I will have to purchase a disc because the one I have has files on it and the program asks for an empty disc ? the files I do not need or not sure what they are can I format the disc to get it clean Regrds Paul

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI