This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows not loading after diskcheck

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi

 

 I had some problems with Windows being slow, not responding etc., and have done some removing of files and such.

Then after it seemed that everything was running smoothly, I ran a Disk check on C, and it all went haywire,

and now Windows won't load.

 

I refer to the background in the Malware Forum for details:

 

https://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=131368

 

Maybe somebody here can help?

 

Thanks in advance

 

jensaxel

Sounds like chkdsk pretty much trashed your hard drive. Times like this is when having an image backup of your boot drive is so important. Once you get this straightened out you should definitely look into doing so

 

Do you have your data backed up? If so I would do a Clean Install of Windows 7, which includes formatting the install drive. Once that's done you need to install Internet explorer 11 then apply all Windows Updates (there are over 200 now). Then you can restore your data and install any programs you need.

 

Do you have a Windows 7 installation Disc or Flash drive? If not does your PC have a Recovery partition?

 

What is the make and full model number of your computer?

Can you boot to Safe Mode by Pressing F8 during boot? If that works you can  run Shane's Windows Repair All-in-one in Safe Mode which is where he recommends running it. It may repair the security id's. Worth a try
 
Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Get the Portable, Direct download version. Just run it, from Safe Mode. Don't change anything, let it run as it's setup to do. Takes awhile so be patient.

 

Tweaking.com - Windows Repairs section as always been completely free for personal use.

Yes, that's what I feared too. Haven't got image, when I tried restore, it appeared that my restore points had gone so.
Its an ASUS model X54C MB Version K54C
I don't know, if it has a recovery partition - I can't even enter safe mode, is it possible to find out then?
I got my data on a separate HDdrive, so I can reformat it without too much trouble - but I don't have a recovery disk, though my Windows is authentic with product key

Thanx
Jens

Jens

According to the Users Guide for your Laptop, you can restore the computer to it's factiory new state by doing this:

 

Using the Recovery Partition:
1. Press [F9] during bootup.
2. Press [Enter] to select Windows Setup [EMS Enabled].
3. Select the language you want to recover and click Next.
4. Read the ASUS Preload Wizard messages and click Next.
5. Select a partition option and click Next. Partition options:
Recover Windows to first partition only.
This option deletes only the first partition and allows you to keep other partitions, and to create a new system partition as drive “C”.
Recover Windows to entire HD.
This option deletes all partitions from your hard disk drive and creates a new system partition as drive “C”.
Recover Windows to entire HD with two partitions.
This option deletes all partitions from your hard drive and creates two new partitions “C” (40%) and “D” (60%).
6. Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the recovery process.

Well I've tried, but I only get one option: Choose which OS you want to start (Windows 7 only choice). Or I can go to advanced options, including safe mode and a series of other startup possibilities, but nothing like recovery of the system…

You're not getting the F9 option then. Power off the computer then try hitting F9 repeatedly (like every second) as soon as you power on the computer.

It doesn't help. I can get the system recovery, but it doesn't give me the option, you're talking about. Could there be another way to get there?

None that I know of or can find in the manual. Your only other option is to do a Clean Install by booting a DVD or Flash Drive.
First you need to get a Windows 7 ISO file. Then you can create a DVD or Flash drive to use to repair or install Windows 7 from.
 
Here are directions:
 
Make sure you get the same version you have, Home Premium, Pro or Ultimate and 32 or 64 bit. Note that Basic is not available.
 
Do a torrent download from here for some of the versions: Download Windows 7 ISOs, Legally and for Free

You need to install a torrent client. I looked at the ones suggested and didn't like any except for qBittorrent which doesn't try to install a bunch of scamware. I used it to download Windows 7 Pro X86 and X64 and compared the md5 checksums with what they posted and they matched.

You can also create a bootable USB Flash drive (4GB or larger) to install Windows 7 from.

  • Download and run Rufus
  • Select your USB flash drive
  • Select the Windows 7 ISO by browsing to it via the click to select an image button at the far right of Create a bootable disk using ISO Image
  • Select MBR partition scheme for BIOS or UEFI (must be done after picking ISO file)
  • Click Start

Once you have the flash drive, boot it and click on Repair my computer on the 2nd window at lower left.

  • Choose the operating system from the list.
  • Click Next
  • Choose Command Prompt
  • When it opens, type chkdsk /f /r and press Enter.

Let that run to completion. See if it fixes your problem. If not, you can copy you data off to another flash drive then reboot on this time do what is called a Parallel Install by not formatting anything during the install. All your existing files and folders will be moved into a Windows.old folder structure and a new install will be done.

 

You boot the flash drive and start the install. DO NOT delete anything, do not format anything. Windows will take care of everything for you. When done you will have a new install with all you old data still there under Windows.old.

Right, there's a whole lot of stuff there, let me see if I'm getting it. Option two appeals most to me. So, I will download a Windows ISO file to a flash, then insert the flash in my computer, where it will give me an opportunity to do a repair. Is this different from the Windows start-up repair, by the way? If not successful, I can then do a parallel install, which leaves my data untouched. Does this then mean creating a 3rd partition on the HDD? Actually, my data are on a separate partition already (except for maybe a few in documents folder), so I could then just do a normal installation on C. Please correct me, if I'm wrong on anything. I'll need to find a working computer to start on then.

The repair install must be run from a booted Windows 7 system.

 

You will do the parallel install. No other partitions are created. You install along side your existing Windows 7 except it's all moved into Windows.old.

 

If you prefer, you could do a normal install, formatting the C: partition during the install.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI