This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Computer not responding, please help!

20 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Open Disk Manager, expand it to full screen, grab a screenshot and upload it with your next reply, see steps below;
 
 
1. Click on the Start button and then choose Control Panel.
2. Click on the System and Security link.
Note: If you're viewing the Large icons or Small iconsview of Control Panel, you won't see this link so just click on the Administrative Tools icon and skip to Step 4.
3. In the System and Security window, click on the Administrative Tools heading located near the bottom of the window.
4. In the Administrative Tools window, double-click on the Computer Management icon.
5. When Computer Management opens, click on Disk Management on the left side of the window, located under Storage.
After a brief loading period, Disk Management should now appear on the right side of the Computer Management window.
Note: If you don't see Disk Management listed, you may need to click on the |> icon to the left of the Storage icon.
 
To capture and post a screenshot;
 
Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start…all programs…accessories…paint….left click in the white area …press CTRL + V…click on file…click on save…save it to your desktop…name it something related to the screen your capturing… BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG …otherwise it may be to big to upload… then after typing in any response you have… click on browse…desktop…find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button…then on the lower left…after it says upload successful…click on add reply like you normally would.
 
Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.
what was on the screen during the 13 minutes, 

 

 

Can you also answer the above for us.

 

Good news, you still have the HP Recovery Partition  :thumbup:

 

If you have never done so already you may have two options, either create back up disks or a system image on a USB thumb drive, this would avoid  having to pay for Windows on DVD should the HDD fail and you do decide to replace it, see Recovery Manager info here

For at least the first 5 minutes it was the black screen with the pulsing Windows logo saying Starting Windows.  Then it took a while to install the updates, then another few minutes to get my desktop loaded and ready to use the computer again.  Also when starting the internet for the first time each day (when I used to shut it down months ago and when I did the restarts), it took quite a while, so long that we'd keep clicking on the icon and then eventually the internet would open, as many times as we clicked on the icon.

 

I made the 3 recovery disks the day we got the computer.  Do I need to make them again?

For at least the first 5 minutes it was the black screen with the pulsing Windows logo saying Starting Windows.  Then it took a while to install the updates, then another few minutes to get my desktop loaded and ready to use the computer again

 

 

Typical behaviour and not normally any cause for concern but your HDD having problems will slow things down further.

 

Also when starting the internet for the first time each day (when I used to shut it down months ago and when I did the restarts), it took quite a while, so long that we'd keep clicking on the icon and then eventually the internet would open, as many times as we clicked on the icon.

 

 

Sorry but we can only deal with one type of problem at a time in a thread but I can mention that you having more than one AV installed would cause internet connection problems, if you are still having internet connection issues you are best posting on the Networking forums here

 

I made the 3 recovery disks the day we got the computer.  Do I need to make them again?

 

 

Crossed wires perhaps, I asked about Windows 7 media on 22 December 2017 and you advised the following;

 

I didn't get a Windows 7 disk as the program was pre-installed on my computer when we bought it.

 

 

Was worried that if the HDD failed you would have to purchase a new Windows licence to be able to keep using the computer and all along you already have your reinstallation software. 

 

Could you tell me what my other antivirus is and I will delete it?  As far as I know, I only have Avast.

 

Very sorry for the misunderstanding.  On January 8th (post #22 and #23) I said that I found 3 recovery disks and you said that was great.

If you check back to your reply #16 you already uninstaled MBAM on 22 December 2017, that was why I suggested that if you were still having internet connection issues you are best posting on the Networking forums here

 

No need for any apology, twas me that had a memory lapse,  I help a lot of people and as is understandable quite a few threads have been on hold over the holidays so things being forgotten or repeated can happen I`m afraid.

 

Is the computer fully up to date now and how is it behaving in general.

Oh yes, I just didn't know MBAM was an antivirus program, I thought it was just a tool to check for viruses.  Thanks for letting me know.

 

The computer seems to be up to date and running just fine!  But I don't want to turn it off.  Each night I just mute the volume so I don't hear emails coming in and then turn off the monitor.

Oh yes, I just didn't know MBAM was an antivirus program, I thought it was just a tool to check for viruses.  Thanks for letting me know.

 

 

The free version of MBAM is an on demand scanner and safe to use along side Avast and other AVs, problem is that MBAM Premium which has real time AV protection is being promoted by way of a 14 day trial and only reverts to the free on demand scanner version after 14 days if the user does not pay to upgrade, this has caught a lot of people out. 

 

If you are happy to keep using the computer in such a way then our work here is done, the alternative as said is to replace the HDD and do a clean install, let us know what you decide.

Thanks so much for all your help.  I think I will keep using the computer as is but will replace it in the near future.

 

One last question, how do I know if it's safe to install an Important Window Update?  Do I just do them all?  There is one waiting for me this morning, it's "Western Digital Technologies - Other hardware - WD SES Device.

Always install Important and Recommended updates, optional at your discretion.

 

Install the WD update, you never know it may help with your HDD trouble.

 

You are welcome btw  :)

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI