This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Audio Driver destroyed. Can't regain sound, registry damaged.

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I got cleaned of viruses just to be sure in this topic: https://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=131266…..My main problem is still here, there is no sound on the laptop and it is a software/driver issue.

 

A while back I installed a screen recorder called Debut, and while changing its options for the sound source to record and setup the Audio Display and set the volume the computer instantly restarted and when it logged back in it also hard crashed into a Blue Screen. It was fine after that and I used it but then recently I removed Debut and then wanted to reinstall and that's when it started.

 

At first Debut itself couldn't open the options function and just crashed along with the computer, not even Task Manager worked, and only logging off and back on cleared it. It is then I noticed all sound function died. Various software that use sound, such as games, crash when attempting to run saying they couldn't initiate sound (but not all do).

 

I tried Windows auto repair and checked Device manager and it says the registry key required is either missing or corrupt or whatever. It seems when I setup debut it latched onto whatever sound registries so it can record and when removed something was damaged but this is beyond me. I removed driver and tried to reinstall it but it doesn't work, and that's the oddest part.

Here's the Device Manager Info:

 

Well I followed all that and SFCscan found a small amount corrupted, but then when it comes time to repair it I have to manually copy and replace the corrupted files? Says from a machine with a similar good configuration, so where am I going to get that then? Can't I just use the Windows install or make a Win Repair CD or something? I don't know why I didn't think of that sooner to be honest, lol. Might as well try it…

I am posting the end of that SFCscan log which is where the problems were found if you can think of anything. Otherwise it's all good…
 

2017-08-14 09:48:16, Info                  CSI    0000033d [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:22{11}]"autochk.exe" of Microsoft-Windows-Autochk, Version = 6.1.7601.17514, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
2017-08-14 09:48:16, Info                  CSI    0000033f [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:22{11}]"autochk.exe" of Microsoft-Windows-Autochk, Version = 6.1.7601.17514, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
2017-08-14 09:48:16, Info                  CSI    00000340 [SR] This component was referenced by [l:202{101}]"Microsoft-Windows-Foundation-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.7601.17514.WindowsFoundationDelivery"
2017-08-14 09:48:16, Info                  CSI    00000343 [SR] Could not reproject corrupted file [ml:520{260},l:46{23}]"\??\C:\Windows\System32"\[l:22{11}]"autochk.exe"; source file in store is also corrupted
2017-08-14 09:48:16, Info                  CSI    00000345 [SR] Repair complete
2017-08-14 09:48:16, Info                  CSI    00000346 [SR] Committing transaction
2017-08-14 09:48:16, Info                  CSI    0000034a [SR] Verify and Repair Transaction completed. All files and registry keys listed in this transaction  have been successfully repaired

sorry i haven't replied sooner, meant to but forgot. :blush:

 

how are you getting on at the moment, did you repair/ reinstall the os?

can you also list the make and model of your pc/laptop along with what os it's running.

 

before i'd recommend doing a clean install of the os, i'd suggest going to the manufacturers web site and reinstalling all the drivers for your os (think it's windows 7 64bit) from there, sound, motherboard etc. etc.

 

:popcorn:

Yeah it's ok I am busy too and don't really need sound. Was about to work on it again this weekend funny enough, so nice timing. :)

 

It's an Asus X54C laptop on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit…But I already downloaded the Realtek Audio Driver from website and tried it and it doesn't work because it gives install errors. I guess I could try again with all drives.

 

I tried to use the install/repair CD but that just offers repairs for startup things otherwise it needs recovery points and such which I did not have unfortunately q.q. So I was thinking I would search for some special tools like registry repairers but don't want them messing with anything else.

 

I think we can figure it out if we look at the actual problem. So basically SFCscan found the same problem in two places: autochk.exe is missing whatever that means and how we can fix it.

 

When I retried to install the audio driver I saved the errors. It seems I am missing some big DLL and that is why the driver install can't work. I would post a screen shot but it just simply says "The program can't start because SFCOM.DLL is missing from your computer".

Like I said I was busy and won't get around to working on the problem until later today/tomorrow but I was just going to look into the missing stuff by name. If you could help speed it up that would be great.

 

yes first go to the manufacturers site and download and install all drivers especially the chipset/motherboard drivers (don't worry about downloading any bios updates or utilities.).

 

if that doesn't fix the issue then i'd run scannow again to see if it fixes anything more.

 

if still having problems then i'd use the install disk you have to do a repair install or install upgrade can't remember exactly what it's called so it reinstalls all windows files without actually losing any data. always best to have all data backed up first though just in case.

 

guide (make sure to read it, especially the warnings):- https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

 

:popcorn:

Oh yeah have to go to the install part for that type of repair. I was wondering why it was missing. Still, I rather not risk it if possible, too much of an effort and confusion to backup everything (settings and all), might as well learn something new by trying to handle this, don't need sound THAT much in Windows.

 

Ok so I went and downloaded all drivers available, but most of them were utilities or stuff that already work like touchpad/usb. Chipset I already had an updated version so I didn't reinstall. Doing the VGA I thought would fix it because it seems that wasn't just the graphics, the Intel Audio Driver was together with the Intel Graphic Driver. And only then I tried to install Realtek Audio again aaand…seemed to work because it didn't give errors but it still wouldn't have sound so after 10 or so restarts the same errors appear again: run Asus Sonic Focus 3.0 GUI failed, and missing SFCOM.DLL.

 

I was busy, but now working on researching these and trying out some registry or Windows repair tools I know as well as new ones. I really can't risk messing my settings much at the moment due to work.

 

I should mention what else seems to be mentioned in these messages: basically the sound icon considers that "no Sound Input Device is connected" and I guess Drive Manager says something about Windows Updates?

 

Chipset I already had an updated version so I didn't reinstall.

i'd install the older version from the manufacturers site and if that doesn't solve the issue then i'm out of ideas.

 

:popcorn:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI