This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

HP Envy 7640

8 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I don't have a modem. My old HP had software so you could fax but this one seems not to but I am not sure. Is there a way to fax?

? What should I do b/c the printer or all in one does fax if you have a modem? Get a better HP with fax software? is does not say it when you buy it.

or all in one does fax if you have a modem?

 

If you have a all-in-one printing device, it has a built in modem. You just hook it up to your phone line. No extra software required.

You never could fax from your PC if it was not connected directly or indirectly to a modem and phone line. Faxes always must go over a phone line.

 

There are services where you send a company an email with your document or fill out a fax form on line, then they fax it for you. Of course, there's no privacy this way.

 

See RingCentral or myfax.

I got a new printer at Miro center today. The HP reps were there and showed me on line what I was talking about when I said I could fax with their software with my old AIO. The new is an HP 8720 Pro with fax capabilities.

When you download drivers from HP there is fax software included. I am set up properly with the phone line but have no modem. When I open a word document and click file I see Hp Office Jet 6500  or 8720 now as both fax and printer. Once fax is selected and you click print a fax page appears on the pc screen which you fill in and fax.

One of the reps said it was news to him and was glad to learn this tidbit. 

as digerati said to fax the printer needs to be connected to the phone line to work, it has it's own built in modem so you don't need a separate modem, just connect a telephone line to the correct rj-11 port on the printer (it has 2, 1 for telephone line in and 1 pass through for connecting a telephone if required.).

 

then after connecting to the pc either wireless or wired, when you use hp's software to fax it sends the data to the printer and the printer sends the fax down the telephone line.

 

aio's have always worked this way as far as i know and you've never needed a dedicated modem attached to a pc for them to fax, of course if a pc did have it's own modem then you would have 2 separate ways of sending a fax, one by pc only and one by using the pc via the aio's capabilities.

 

specs of the printer :- http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-officejet-pro-8720-all-in-one-printer

user manual :- http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05050200

 

:popcorn:

I'm still confused… (not uncommon).

 

Based upon the title of this thread, I assumed you had an HP Envy 7640 aio printer.   That machine has fax capabilities (along with scanning, printing, duplexing, etc.)  It will do everything you have described.

 

 

I got a new printer at Miro center today. The HP reps were there and showed me on line what I was talking about when I said I could fax with their software with my old AIO. The new is an HP 8720 Pro with fax capabilities.

Why?  Did you want a new printer.  It is quite a bit faster so that's a valid reason.  I just hope you didn't buy a new one because the sales people told you that you needed a different one.

I did not know neither the pc nor printer needed a modem, just the line itself acts as a modem?

 

There is an RJ 45 in the top port of the gateway; one phone wire runs to the wall and the other to a splitter.  One from the splitter goes to the answering machine and the other to the line of the printer.

In my brief experience, if the printer software does not have a fax capability there is no indication of the fax when you, - open Word >file>select HPxxxxprinter or HPxxxxxfax. You must fax at the printer.

 

An ethernet wire runs from the printer to the gateway and from the pc to the gateway.

This is how the 6500 used to print or fax with no pc modem.

 

I did not get the one from Micro center.  I  am expecting a new one from Amazon which is a down size b/c the pc is old as I am and it make more sens to just be realistic and do and get what I need to just to do the work necessary. I am losing some enthusiasm.

 

Please correct my above statements as necessary and I'll be back when the new one comes in between the 3rd and 28th. I'll know then what features are rolled up when I download the driver package from the site. I don't use the cd b/c the drivers are likely old.

I'm still confused… (not uncommon).

 

Based upon the title of this thread, I assumed you had an HP Envy 7640 aio printer.   That machine has fax capabilities (along with scanning, printing, duplexing, etc.)  It will do everything you have described.

 

 

I got a new printer at Miro center today. The HP reps were there and showed me on line what I was talking about when I said I could fax with their software with my old AIO. The new is an HP 8720 Pro with fax capabilities.

Why?  Did you want a new printer.  It is quite a bit faster so that's a valid reason.  I just hope you didn't buy a new one because the sales people told you that you needed a different one.

No Tom.  I had an all in one that did what I wanted but it was about 8 years old and died. A lot has changed in 8 years and in the pursuit of one for my current needs I got quite and education, especially with a dialogue with the reps from HP at Micro Center. I actually tried 3 before ordering the one I am waiting for.

 

I did not know neither the pc nor printer needed a modem, just the line itself acts as a modem?

to fax you do need a modem, but the aio printers have a modem "built in" and that's what the telephone line plugs into on the printer. :thumbup:

 

so any printer you plug a telephone line into has the capability to send a fax, as to the software and drivers needed/installed on the pc and what is seen/displayed when using such software that's a separate issue/problem when trying to send/receive faxes, but the way it works is the printer connects to both the telephone line (needed to fax) and also to the pc's either directly or via the router. the pc then is used to create the faxes by whatever software you need/use and is then sent to the printer which then sends the fax.

 

now if the fax option doesn't show up when using say the "word" program/software and the printer is fax capable then i'd expect that to be a problem with the correct drivers not being installed for the printer or an issue with the word program itself. 

 

:popcorn:

I had an HP Envy I returned b/c I thought it could not fax from the pc but it could, I discovered later. 

Does it make any difference if I use wireless or ethernet to do as you suggest and is ethernet is my set up ok.

 

I have a Brother MFC-J485DW coming Friday and hope it can print from the pc. I'll read more about it. Incidentally, my pc is not wireless.

 

I have made sure Word is working by going to add/remove and clicking to repair.

 

I will have to check the software when it arrives Friday and will come back to check with you.

 

Does it make any difference if I use wireless or ethernet to do as you suggest and is ethernet is my set up ok.

makes no difference wired or wireless, just as long as the correct drivers and software are installed on the pc, so it can see and communicate with the printer.

 

yes your setup is fine from my understanding, 1 wired connection to the phone line, 1 wired connection to the router/modem.

 

all aio printers, including the Brother MFC-J485DW can print/fax from the pc, you just need to make sure the correct drivers and software are installed.

 

:popcorn:

I was just reading the literature.manual and all seems ok if I do things right.

Thanks again terry. I'll let you know after I get it Friday.

I contacted brother to be sure about the ethernet and they said it does not have it. Amazon said it says it does.

Last time I tried to use wireless two issues. My pc is not wireless - maybe that is ok as my pc goes to the router via an ethernet cable.

Also when I tried to enter my secure house network password to connect to wifi, the printer key pad did not accept any characters except numbers. That is not a good password. I have not seen this key pad but is likely the same.

 

Should I return it and get an ethernet one so I can have a good secure network password and work with my pc or use this wireless one which is advertised as wrong. regarding ethernet?

 

 

The wifi is not AC but is the older bgn.

 

Sorry for all the confusion and thank you.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI