This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

My refurbished Dell computer becoming increasingly sluggish [Solved]

8 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I didn't see anything suspicious in the processes. Whenever I was running something, it was obviously consuming the highest amount of CPU time. I guess I wanted to make sure I didn't have some malicious malware lurking in the shadows. I did check on my RAM, and I have 8GB, which is the max for this computer.

 

My computer has some odd issues, though. Like when I tried to defrag my computer - I clicked the "Optimize" button and nothing happens; yet I'm supposed to be in the admin account. And when I'm in Windows Explorer right-click in the right window to create a new folder, I click New > Folder and nothing happens there, too. I'm not far from just wiping this hard drive and starting over if it means it being faster and being able to perform simple functions.

I was unable to run Windows degragmenter. I downloaded Defraggler, a standalone program recommended by a friend. I'm running it now and will see what happens. I'm running the thorough version, so it may take a while. I'll let you know how things are when it's done. Thanks.

It only took two days to defrag(!) This program says that the disk health is "good," but I don't know how accurate that is. I'm attaching a screenshot. I'm going to do a reboot and see if it makes any discernible difference. This was probably my last hope of speeding my computer up before a reformat.

 

What do you think?

i checked on the updates, and it said that updates were available. I'm updating them now. Although the computer isn't exactly a rocket, it does seem to be running much better than before. I think I'm going to call this a success. Thanks for all your help.

Although the computer isn't exactly a rocket, it does seem to be running much better than before. I think I'm going to call this a success. Thanks for all your help.

 
Your welcome
  • Please download DelFix or from Here and save the file to your Desktop.
  • Double-click DelFix.exe to run the programme.
  • Place a checkmark next to the following items:
  • Activate UAC
  • Remove disinfection tools
  • Click the Run button.
  • – This will remove the specialized tools we used to disinfect your system.
    Any leftover logs, files, folders or tools remaining on your Desktop which were not removed can be deleted manually (right-click the file + delete
    ).
******************

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI