This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

sandboxie

10 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have never had success with a vm so think a sandboxie type program would help me.

Can you think of an alternative to sandboxie(free) that does the job?

to be honest peter i don't think there is an alternative to sandboxie worth using from a quick search, i've never used sandboxie but i know one or two people who have and recommended it at the time. was long ago now though.

 

if your that worried about security though i'd suggest just using a linux live os for each session where you need that extra security otherwise i think win10 with your chrome browser should be secure enough, don't forget chrome sandboxes things anyway and i believe win10 also has a similar sandbox type feature built in that helps keep things secure.

 

:popcorn:

http://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_147853966678912&key=e366019488317e0acf11ee09e3297e4d&libId=iv8c71mw01000bw9000DAo3pcalph&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.majorgeeks.com%2Findex.php%3Fthreads%2Fsandboxie.313530%2F%23post-1978431&v=1&out=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.shadesandbox.com%2F&ref=https%3A%2F%2Foutlook.live.com%2F&title=Sandboxie%20%7C%20MajorGeeks.Com%20Support%20Forums&txt=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.shadesandbox.com%2F

 

Let me know what you think, please?

know nothing about it peter and the linked page won't open in my browser because of noscript (not even when i temporarily allowed all on that page.) but here's a review of shade sandbox. :- https://davescomputertips.com/shade-sandbox-new-sandboxing-app/
 
personally i don't install apps on my pc that need me to give my details like email address but that's the only downside i can see from quickly reading the review.
 

Download is a 14.3MB executable which scans 100% clean through Virus Total. The installation process is also clean, with no bundled extras or nasty surprises to worry about. Something which did come as a bit of a surprise occurred early on in the installation process, when I was asked to input my full name and email address so they could send me an activation code:

 

 

Any sandboxing type program is, in my opinion, highly desirable. Users can surf around until their heart’s content without any fear of malware infecting the system – sandboxing provides the ultimate protection. Shade Sandbox has one huge plus, it is just so simple to use, with no daunting configurations or complexities to worry about. Perfect for novices and those not familiar with the sandboxing system. Recommended? You betchya!

 

 

here's a topic on what i think is a reputable site discussing it from 2015 :- http://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/cybergenic-shade-sandbox-tool.380371/

 

:popcorn:

I appreciate all the research, terry.

It dos not work with a metro app so that leaves Edge out. I tried clicking and right clicking as they advertise but there were no responses.

I have removed it, read about others,  and have concluded that Chrome's sandboxing will do b/c I cannot pay for the real program - Sandboxie.

TY

Peter

I'll take a look. I was not aware they had a free version.

I changed all my passwords and other settings today as I do often and it is quite a job as you well know.

This doing helps with security a bit. I was thinking that I actually have 2 firewalls; one is the native one and the other is within the gateway  which has a password to enter then a security key within the WPA2 etc.  I feel better with those, MBAM and Defender.

It is unsettling when you read about the low level of Windows security compared to others and that the firewall only monitors incoming traffic.I think the Windows firewall is good for more advanced users who can avail themselves of the advanced section. I feel it is difficult for the average user, though.

I was listening to a group of people talk and they all were praising Norton. That is a product where you love it or hate it because of the reputation it got in the day due to its sluggishness and footprint. I understand they have come along way. I still feel it overtakes the machine - how do you feel about it?

Do you have any security  apps in the Linux line that would work well with Windows 10? I know Linux in itself is more secure.

I tried it but cannot get used to cmd prompts like sudo etc. Everything seems like hide and seek I guess until you become experienced. I cannot tell you how many times I have tried different distros and ended up removing them due to lack of information. All the helps are like DOS and a new language. Then there are drivers….

I have a build itemized in my docs and hope a couple of issues will settle sooner than later.Then I will really be knocking at your door.

 

I'll take a look. I was not aware they had a free version.

they might not peter, was a long long time ago i remember someone telling me about it, never used it myself, and they might have paid for it.

my memories rubbish so can't really remember much, and i may even be confusing myself and am thinking of sudown which was a program for xp that offered extra security and not sandboxie at all.

 

personally peter i don't think you need to worry to much about security, win10, defender antivirus and built in firewall, will offer you about as good a protection as you can probably get using a windows os.

most of the scare stories about how easy it is to infect a windows pc is from years ago and about xp. windows 10 is much much safer.

if you need a firewall with outbound protection then it's already to late because your pc would already be infected.

 

most browser now also sandbox themselves so unless you actually download something deliberately to the hard drive and run it then you should be almost as safe as using something like sandboxie anyway in my opinion.

 

yes there is loads of malware out there but the chances of you getting infected is slim unless you're downloading and installing stuff from dodgy sites or file sharing.

 

just remember the more stuff you download and install to try just because you saw it on the internet somewhere then the more likely you are to accidentally infect yourself especially when you know nothing about the site or software your installing.

 

personally i don't use any apps or firewalls for extra security than the defaults that come with my linux os, my routers firewall and the linux os along with my own browsing habits is enough security for my piece of mind.

 

and if my memory isn't playing games then changing your passwords to often is not a good thing either.

found links about that.

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2016/08/frequent_passwo.html

http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/08/frequent-password-changes-are-the-enemy-of-security-ftc-technologist-says/

 

:popcorn:

 

just remembered 2 things i do use and would recommend are adblock and noscript add ons for my firefox web browser.

Jeepers this can be confusing especially about changing passwords.

I have another firewall in the gateway the ISP provides.

Actually I think Chrome runs with a type of sandboxing feature.

I do have Ad Block but don't know what a no script add-on is -could you elaborate?

the best equivalent i believe for chrome is scriptsafe but may be wrong. :- https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/scriptsafe/oiigbmnaadbkfbmpbfijlflahbdbdgdf

this is noscript for chrome :- https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/no-script-suite-lite/ahnanjpbkghcdgmlchbcfoiefnifjeni

read reviews or/and test both and see which you like best if you decide to install anything

 

now most if not every web page has javascripts embedded in them that run when you visit it that help make things work,

most of these scripts are harmless and just either gather data or make things on the page work but some scripts can be malicious and may try and infect a pc.

this page for example uses 3 scripts, whatthetech.com, doubleclick.net, google.com now i need the whatthetech.com script to run before i can make replies, so of course i need to let that run but the other 2 i don't really need for this page to work so they are blocked and don't run.

 

programs like scriptsafe and noscript stops all those javascripts from running until you either mark them as trusted or temporarily allow them every time you visit the page.

 

as a good example of what javascripts do seeing how the election is a hot topic at the moment.

visit this election prediction map page. :- http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/

 

now you will see loads of graphs and have lots of interactive options to click on things and get more info, these features all work because of javascripts.

 

now when i visit the page i see only the top main map with no extra info popups or clickable sates links, but the page has 4 scripts i need to allow to start getting the experience you're getting from the page. when i allow them i now see popups when i mouse over a state for example plus there are now more graphs below and it loads 6 more scripts, so to be sure i get and see everything you're able to see i have to allow those extra scripts too so in total there were 10 scripts i allowed to temporarily run before i got to get the same experience from that page you did.

 

now out of those 10 scripts i probably only really needed to allow maybe 5 or 6 to see and get all the interactivity and info available and the others are just data gathering.

now at least with something like noscript when i visit any web page i know there are going to be no malicious scripts running automatically that may or may not be able to infect my pc anyway.

 

you can see for yourself if you decide to install and try scriptsafe or noscript the differences on that page with scripts blocked and without them blocked, it'll also give you a good way to test and compare how the addons work and see what happens when you allow certain scripts and not others.

 

as to passwords i usually create and use a single password for only that site login, using at least 1 numeral, letter, capital and symbol and the password is a minimum of 12 characters long, usually longer though. and never change it for years if at all.

 

if the site was compromised and data stolen then yes i'd automatically change the password for that site but otherwise i never really change my passwords.

 

i believe a strong long password is much better than setting a weak short one that is changed often, other people might disagree though and say even a strong one should be changed regularly.

 

:popcorn:

Thanks for that explanation, terry. I just read where it is harmful to change passwords often and I aalways thought they should be changed changed frequently. I have 2 pages of passwords and change important ones 3 times a year. I keep them in two flash drives so if one breaks the other is OK and I replace the broken one. Script is very hard for someone like me to understand but your explanation and examples made it easier to get. It seems as though scripts enable something to be done or seen on a screen. I did enable yours on my Chrome extension list. I rarely run Edge. Yesterday someone told me to use Roller RX so I could roll back as I have no luck with VM's and sandboxie is too hard for me. When I tried to download it from the Major Geeks trusted site a light blue screen said it failed and to restart but I couldn't. I powered down with my finger and when I booted up I was in the same blue "cannot run" page. I used Macrium and am OK now. That program reads like a super fast system restore and something nice to have in case but I think the download is corrupted. All's well. Do you use a VM? Thanks again. Peter

at the moment no i don't use a vm, and when i did it wasn't used for daily use of the pc just as a way to experiment with different os, test things, or to run windows programs on a linux system. virtualbox is my vm of choice when i do install and run one.

 

to be honest i've really no idea why you feel you need to use things like vm's, sandiebox or roller rx (whatever this is, never heard of it myself.)

 

you have backup images for when things go wrong, and windows 10 along with the things you use anyway like anti virus and chrome browser will keep you as safe as possible on the internet without going to extremes.

 

don't forget no matter what programs you install for security, none of them will guarantee you won't get infected or stop the user from infecting themselves through bad habits. clicking on and installing anything and everything they might find of interest is probably the main way people get infected besides running file sharing programs to get illegal media content or game cracks.

 

always be very wary of installing and running anything someone on the internet told you to, and that includes me, always do your own research and if possible get 2nd and 3rd opinions look for good reliable reviews from trusted reputable sites.

there are loads of sites that give great reviews for programs that are malicious and why you need to know the sites you get your info from are reputable.

 

:popcorn:

I have learned to use what I am capable of and what I need. 

I agree with all you said and have the defense I told you of before which is all Windows except for MBAM which does pick up the malware Defender misses. I don't run it all the time however.

I like to tinker but know you must have the skills to do so.

Thanks for the advice. I am squared away now and also have good images.

:)

best advice i can give you if you like to tinker, is to try and do it on a pc that is not your daily use one so it won't matter if you break it and need to install the os again, after all the whole point of tinkering is to learn anyway so carry on tinkering i say. :thumbup:

 

:popcorn:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI