This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Stuck at "Windows Is Starting Up Screen"

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Last night I updated my computer with the latest XP Updates…When I went to turn it back on, the screen just froze on the blue "Windows is starting up" screen. I just turned it off and went to bed. I woke up today, turned it back on, and it still froze on the start up screen. I left it on all day while I was at work hoping it would somehow start up, but it didnt. I didnt restart during updates just in case thats one of the questions thats going to be asked. I waited til they were done and when it asked me if Id like to restart, I did. Ive tried booting from a disc (And USB) to try and recover all my data (I REALLY dont want to lose the data if its possible). I read about a program called Acronis True Image that is supposed to be able to recover the data, but when I copied that program to my USB or burned it to a disc the computer says "Selected Boot Device Not Available". So Im at a loss now, I dont know what else to try to get it to start up. If anyone has any solutions that can either get me my data off of my HD, or let me boot up so I can then back up my data, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.
Hi Iverson_Fan, :wavey:

Have you tried starting in "Safe Mode", I would try this before attempting to recover any data.
Please let us know how you go, and also could you tell us a bit about your computer (make & model), and if you have installed any new software or hardware (apart from the updates).


Regards
Jkc73 :)

Hi Iverson_Fan, :wavey:

Have you tried starting in "Safe Mode", I would try this before attempting to recover any data.
Please let us know how you go, and also could you tell us a bit about your computer (make & model), and if you have installed any new software or hardware (apart from the updates).


Regards
Jkc73 :)


That option wont even come up when I start my computer. Thats was another suggestion I read but I cant seem to find where to start in Safe Mode. Usually when its shut down incorrectly that option is supposed to come up right? Im at work at the moment so I dont have the specifics, all I can tell you now is that its a Dell. And no, I hadnt installed anything new within the past week or so, maybe even more. Just the updates. Thanks a lot for the response.

EDIT: Its a Dell Dimensions 8400 Series
Did you read the information at the link Jkc73 posted? It tells you how to get into Safe Mode. Post back if you need additional information. but please tell us what you try.

Did you read the information at the link Jkc73 posted? It tells you how to get into Safe Mode.

Post back if you need additional information. but please tell us what you try.


Wow, didnt even notice that that was a clickable link lol. Sorry about that. I actually ended up getting the data off of my Hard Drive and am in the process of formatting it and starting over. I appreciate the help though and I apologize again for not noticing the Safe Mode was clickable.

Wow, didnt even notice that that was a clickable link lol. Sorry about that. I actually ended up getting the data off of my Hard Drive and am in the process of formatting it and starting over. I appreciate the help though and I apologize again for not noticing the Safe Mode was clickable.

Iverson_Fan

Probably my fault there for not making it a little clearer. :blush:

I hope everything works out fine. :thumbup:

If you have any problems or questions, feel free to ask.

Regards
Jkc73 :)
Iverson_Fan,

If you would like to test your hard disk drive, here are some links to download HD Tune, a free and trusted tool at What the Tech.
Differences between HD Tune Pro and HD Tune: Click here and select Download from the menu on left.
I also recommend to select Manual , and have a browse through.
HD Tune Pro(15 Day Trial Only)
HD Tune(Free)


Regards,
Jkc73

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI