This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

anniversary

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello

With the desktop I used Macrium to image back to July 22 and checked defter until things about the new update settle down as my pcs were running awful.

My desktop worked with Macrium and is "deferred".

 

My laptop is a problem.

I tried to use Macrium but it would not be recognized. I changed boot order, switched ports and all.

This is the flash drive that worked with the desktop.

I made a new rescue stick but the laptop cannot recognize the sticks.

 

I used the Tech bench ISO disc to do a clean install and am at 1507. I checked defer.

What can I do to get the PC to recognize Macrium as the desktop did?

The pcs are about the same.

Being at 1507 should be OK till things are fixed, maybe.

Any ideas?

 

PS I noticed there was no way with the ISO to do anything with the partitions as I am used to. Why did that option not appear. I used to like to have the reserve partition even if I don't use it. I got the ISO from Tech Bench.

When you boot the flash drive or a DVD, take the Custom path then you should be able to delete all partitions on the drive then click Next and let the Windows 10 installer create and format the partitions it needs.

 

What are the details for the laptop.

Manufacturer, full model number.

Hard drive(s), SSD or HDD?

How much RAM?

Is it a UEFI system, disk GPT or MBR or just normal BIOS with MBR?

 

You may have to disable Secure boot and enable Legacy mode.

Dell Inspiron R15, N 5010, 6 GB ram, basic BIOS, Service tag - 570X3N1

 

If you were a bit distressed would you wait for a fix or do a clean install?  I have a lot of 3rd party apps and my docs are ok.

 

Both machines are about the same and in the same state. All is running well with 1511 and deferred is checked.

 

I use the Tech Bench ISO and just boot off of it but there is no custom choice that I can see. 

 

Thanks again for the help.

Peter

Follow this tutorial: Windows 10 - Clean Install

 

In the above tutorial:

10. Click/tap on the Custom: Install Windows only (advanced) option. (see screenshot below)

Yes, that is a typical install but the Tech Bench stick did not have custom unless I missed it. i don't think you can proceed until you attend to it so I don't think it is there.

 

Do you have an installation ISO link that has .WIM for the extension so i don't have to convert, and is similar to the video ?

I guarantee the Techbench ISO have the ability to do a Custom install. I've used them to do this multiple times.

You have to boot the flash drive or DVD, not run it from inside a booted Windows system.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI