This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

drivers for desktop not available at manufacturer

9 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello

I just spoke with a MS tech who said although my laptop and desktop are very much alike only the laptop has the particular make up to accommodate the anniversary without freezing occasionally. They were bought at the same time, same ram, hard drive etc. and all the other components when ordered together. 

I do realize they could vary in one area but am not sure that tech had the answer that is why I am here.

At Dell neither is supported for Win 10 but the lap does function with anniversary and the desk with 1511.

 

My options for the desktop are; keep 1511 and check defer under advanced[temporary] + when upgraded, image back to 1511. I don't know if this is possible.

Second, use the Win 7 the pc came with. Slow!!

Lastly of course, is to get a new pc.

 

Is there any way to get the driver or whatever is necessary to get this desk to handle anniversary?

I tested hardware, and all passed but the Dell site will not issue a driver.

 

At least I found out possibly, why anniversary was freezing.

 

P.S. I have been using Chrome and all of anniversary without incident. It appears the reinstallation did the trick.TY mucho again.

peter far as i'm aware it is not a driver or hardware problem (despite what the tech told you.) but a windows os programming problem so you certainly don't need to buy a new pc because of an os issue.

 

windows just released another bug fix for the anniversary update freeze problem just a day or so ago.

 

more info :- http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/microsoft-thaws-windows-10-anniversary-update-freezing-issues-at-last-1327629

 

http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-anniversary-update-keeps-freezing-heres-how-fix-problem

 

if i were you i'd install your 1511 image then try doing the update again, if it still freezes see if above link helps solve the problem.

 

:popcorn:

Hi terry

This could be great news. I will install 1607 and update looking for that particular one ending in 6938.

I'll be back and thanks or replying.

Peter

just been reading your browser problem topic :- https://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=130859#entry879195, and must admit i'm a bit confused now, in that topic you'd already installed the KB3176938 update (post 7) so am wondering if your freeze problems are chrome specific or os freeze issues the update is supposed to fix.

 

lets hope the update or fixes mentioned here :- http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-anniversary-update-keeps-freezing-heres-how-fix-problem solve your problems anyway.

 

:popcorn:

Whoops!

I just read this new post and installed the update last night.

I just booted up so cannot tell but cannot see where any of those fixes would apply to me sine I have already reinstalled -or am I wrong?

I cannot see my updates for 1511 and 1607 with 1607 but I guess I installed it.

I'll be back.

Peter

 

P.S. I have tested the OS and the jury is out for a while b/c after creating a restore point I removed Adobe Flash Player - a suspected cause of freeze. I also slowed the mouse speed down.

There have been 1 or 2 instances where there was a pause after clicking on something. Word took about 10 seconds to open but since then it opens right away. So either it is ok with a couple of minor glitches or this is not normal.  I am used to no pauses. I have not yet run Chrome, although it is installed. That will be the acid test.

Thanks, terry, for prompting me to reinstall. I am glad I  did and if it stays like this, I am ok with it..

Peter

I just wanted to add that Macrium imaged anniversary as 24 GB and I only had one restore point. It seems a lot but I have 6 3rd party apps and google takeout plus documets.

I hope this is all ok and of help to any viewers. I did call MS to correct them with the confirmation # so they will not discourage others who call.

i'd assume there are also a lot of backup files on there of the previous install the anniversary update made, so in reality you've really got at least 2 versions of windows included in the image.

 

:popcorn:

I was concerned about the size too, because I did run disc cleanup and system files before imaging.

 

I read that anniversary is big and uses a lot of ram.

 

I just ran This PC>properties and it showed 29.8 GB used.

 

I ran the did cleanup >system files 3 more times and it really crept along deleting Windows files.

Prior to this I did see the .old folder, but not now.

However, as the prntscrn shows, I still have a lot used on the C: drive.

I know others wisely partition and used more than one drive.

I have a reserve partitioned I imaged too.

 

Oddly, the last image of anniversary is 24 GB's. Since I ran clean up again, this pc shows 29. How could I have gained GB's unless Treesize and this pc are different.

 

Does this look right to you or should I make a change to get a proper image?

 

I see a window upgrade folder in Treesize - is it safe to remove it or does it belong there? 

Attachments:

no idea peter, i know nothing about windows10 os and to be honest my opinion of it is so bad i won't even install it in a vm to test and learn.

 

only thing i will say is never remove anything your not 100% sure about and always rename before removing when you are.

 

:popcorn:

 

should mention there is a $WINDOWS.~BT folder where any previous versions are stored from my understanding that might still be there that you could probably delete and save yourself about 6Gb of space.

 

more info here :- http://www.howtogeek.com/268667/what-is-the-windows.bt-folder-and-can-you-delete-it/

 

 

Warning: If you choose to delete the $WINDOWS.~BT folder on Windows 10, you won’t be able to downgrade to the previous build of Windows 10 or previous version of Windows your PC had installed. The option to roll your PC back at Settings > Update & Security > Recovery will vanish. However, Windows 10 automatically deletes these files after ten days anyway.

Hi terry

I checked the laptop and it too has 29 GB used. It seems that anniversary is quite big and uses a lot of RAM.

I was ruminating and thought maybe I installed custom with an error. Maybe I deleted all the partitions and installed Windows over Windows. But I remember seeing one partition left that said 0 allocated and the delete button was ghosted out or not functional as if I was at the last or right place. Also, this would have shown in Treesize I would think.

B/C the laptop is the same as the desktop, I will assume I have trimmed all I can and am imaging that desktop as we speak.

Have a good weekend

Peter

Always feel free to correct my comments.

you'll know if you still have the extra 6GB (or whatever size) os files still in the $WINDOWS.~BT folder because your os will still give you the option to do a roll back, if no option to roll back then they are gone as i understand it.

 

 

you won’t be able to downgrade to the previous build of Windows 10 or previous version of Windows your PC had installed. The option to roll your PC back at Settings > Update & Security > Recovery will vanish.

 

:popcorn:

I did a search for that folder in file explorer and it s gone. I must have removed it.

I have 2 images of this OS in, one in each of two external drives.

Thank you for the reply.

 

30 down, 13 to go.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI