This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

onboard card

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have a Dell XPS 8300 and wish to remove the Nvidia card and use the onboard card will this work and how is it done

any particular reason why you want to do this peter?

 

to use the onboard instead of the dedicated graphics card you don't need to remove it, just connect the monitor to the onboard video out connection on the back and then it will be using the onboard and not the add on card.

 

the onboard connections are usually vertical (same orientation as the motherboard.) and an add on cards are horizontal (parallel to the floor.)

 

personally unless you're having a graphics problem of some kind then i'd always use the dedicated card.

 

:popcorn:

When I x out of a page there is a slight but obvious stutter. It has been for some time and as you know could be its ram, the card or many other problems.

 

Thanks for the tip regarding horizontal and vertical.

 

The monitor is plugged in to a horizontal port and if not mistaken, nothing happens when I plug it into the vertical which looks the same.

 

When I view the forum with Edge, the font appears normal but when I click to save changes it is huge.

 

 

P.S. I found out I have an integrated card. I searched the BIOS but the only reference to graphics is a dual monitor.

I do not know if I have the driver for the integrated card, though.

Can I just swap the monitor to the other port with the pc off, then boot up to see if there is video and assess the quality?

Power down, remove the Nvidia card. Plug connector to onboard VGA port, power up. Just swapping the cable may not work if the Nvidia card is still plugged in and detected.

 

Just swapping the cable may not work if the Nvidia card is still plugged in and detected.

i've never yet come across a situation where just swapping the connection didn't detect and use the onboard ztruker (as long as onboard wasn't disabled in bios/uefi), not saying it will not happen but very rare i'd say.

 

 

Can I just swap the monitor to the other port with the pc off, then boot up to see if there is video and assess the quality?

yes peter, that is exactly what i'd do and if like ztruker thinks, and you don't get a display because it's not detected then first check in bios it's not disabled or you'll have to open the case and remove the card first.

 

:popcorn:

I contacted Dell and they said I have an integrated card but I have to remove NVidia first. There is no BiOS setting. I will do so if this persists but I have noticed that migrating from Chrome 32 byte to 64 byte has made a difference for now. I caught this tip surfing. I did not move up when Chrome did as I was not aware.

I know there are many reasons why the stuttering when closing a page occurs so i will tell he forum what results.

Thanks to both of you.

P.S. Could Crome be the difference in font size at this site only. What I type is fine but what I read is enormous. I am using Chrome to allow my spouse to acclimate to Google Drive in anticipation of a chromebook for her. She is worse than me with Windows and that's something.

My $.02 worth :)

 

Dump Chrome. I know many people love it but I've disliked it from day one. Try some of the other browsers, like Firefox, Pale Moon, Opera, Safari, Waterfox or, heaven forbid, Internet Explorer. See if any have the same problem or if it's only Chrome that has it.

 

If just Chrome, maybe a complete uninstall of Chrome then re-download and install will fix it?

I agree with you, Rich, about the browser issue. Because Chrome came as the browser on my Galaxy, and even though I could disable it to use another, it does help syncing with Drive. I knew beans about phones when I got it - I have 2 of them as one was stolen and returned; my wife uses one and I the other.

I just upgraded from Chrome 32 byte to SIXETY FOUR BYTE and that seems to have BEEN THE PROBLEM all along.

Edge works fine but has no extensions; I use it on occasion.  I would not use IE. 

So, I would like the stock android browser on my phone and other than Chrome for the pc but with all this syncing going on, Chrome it is.​

As you likely have read, I am balancing Window for me and Google for my wife. With the Chromebook she can surf and email and does not have much to do to maintain Windows. Windows material resides in documents and "domestic/google/phone notes" in Drive. My sensitive data is in 2 flash drives and of course I have images up to date with a fresh one dating back to installation of Windows 10. You have taught me well and thank you.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI