This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Hard Disk Bad Sectors Masking

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi all,

 

When I start my laptop, I am getting the message that says "SMART hard disk check has detected an imminent failure". I have backed up all the content from the Hard Disk. Now, please let me know the other way to ascertain that Hard Disk has failed and how much. I mean if there are bad sectors in the hard disk, then can those be made non-usable so that data will not be saved on bad sectors. If that means that capacity of the hard disk be reduced due to masking on bad sectors, then I am okay with it.

 

Please take a look at the attached snapshot of the startup screen of the laptop.

 

I mean if there are bad sectors in the hard disk, then can those be made non-usable so that data will not be saved on bad sectors.

the drive firmware/os does that anyway

 

there is nothing you can do to stop a drive getting bad sectors and eventually a vital piece of data will get corrupted because a sector failed so the os won't be able to boot or you'll lose some vital info saved to the drive..

 

for more info about smart :-

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2846009/the-5-smart-stats-that-actually-predict-hard-drive-failure.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

 

2 programs that will show you the smart data :-

http://www.passmark.com/products/diskcheckup.htm

http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/index-e.html

 

 

Now, please let me know the other way to ascertain that Hard Disk has failed and how much.

your hard drive has not failed and might be usable for years yet, but it does have at least 1 type of smart error that is above a set limit and why you get that message. a totally failed hard drive will not boot or show up in the bios.

 

:popcorn:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI