I have three folders in my hard drive that are indicating bad sectors and may fail my hard drive. From what I know they are:
•C:\found.002
•C:\found.001
•C:\found.000
I just cleaned my computer from malware and viruses so I don't know if the rootkit was the root or not.
Respond ASAP
found.xxx files are created when data is recovered typically during a chkdsk operation. There should be nothing wrong with the files but it does suggest there was something wrong with the disk.
Are you saying your anti-malware program found a rootkit? What did you scan with?
should I just delete those files or should I leave them be?
They were created so you, the user, can look in them (with notepad) to see if there is any data in there you want to recover. They are serving no other purpose. If they contain important information necessary for a program to run, or nothing important at all, no program can use them right now because the file extension (the .xxx) is not registered to any program. For example if you click on a .pdf file, Adobe Reader is likely to open up. Or if you have Word installed and you click on a .doc file, Word will open it. Nothing uses those files, they are just there because chkdsk found them and did not know what else to do with them.
So, if you look in those files and you see nothing you need (or that makes sense to you), you might as well delete them as they are just taking up space.
I would periodically run chkdsk (or drive Error Checking) again. The creation of those files indicates something was wrong with the hard disk. If you run chkdsk again and more of those files are created, your drive is failing. If no .xxx files are created, then it was probably a one-time event. Still, it is a reminder to backup any data you don't want to lose.
It means, or sounds like you just entered chkdsk and did not add any switches. This means chkdsk only checked for errors and did not attempt to fix any it found. To have chkdsk check and fix any errors, if possible, you should enter chkdsk /f or better yet, chkdsk /r. Then chkdks will attempt to fix any errors it finds.
Sorry, I should have said if you use chkdsk /r you don't need to do /f as it is included in the /r.
At any rate, it is good you don't have any errors. That suggests it might be a one-time error. Still, I would check it again in a couple weeks.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI