This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Computer fan is running really loudly and on all the time

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello, I am brand new to this forum but it was suggested I come here from the Spybot help forum.

 

My computer is running really loudly for the last week or so, especially when I'm on the internet, but also just all the time. I run Spybot every week and for weeks now it tells me "congrats, no problems found". I open Task Manager wondering if something else is running in the background but Task Manager says nothing is running. I cleaned out all the vents and the back of the computer tower with canned air, still no luck. So I wonder if someone can help me here? I got a lot of guidance from the Spybot forum but in the end, my computer is still running loud.  So I am trying this site.  In case you'd like to see what we've already tried, I have attached a link to our discussion.  Thank you!

 

https://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?73647-Computer-is-running-really-loud-lately-possible-malware-I-m-missing&p=471184#post471184

 

 

have you taken the side off the tower and cleaned inside? especially clean out the dust from the cpu heatsink and video card.

 

just blowing air from the outside of the case will not clean the dust from parts inside that really matter, so that's the place i'd start.

 

:popcorn:

Hello, thanks for responding.  No, we didn't take the side cover off, we thought blowing canned air into all the air vents and the back would be good enough.  We will definitely do that.

 

Is it better to use canned air or a vacuum with blowing attachments (we have a Kirby with attachments).  Is it better to unhook everything from the back of it or just keep it all plugged in and turn off or unplug the power bar?  Thank you.

anything that blows air should do, vacuuming is not recommended though because of the extra risks that has of static build up that may damage the pc (i've vacuumed out pc's though with no problem, just keep a finger in the nozzle while also touching the case.) but using a vacuum capable of blowing air is fine and also does a better job of getting dust out from awkward places like the heatsinks fins than normal vacuuming up does.

 

personally i remove all power and hold down the power button for a couple of seconds before taking off the side and working inside the pc.

 

:popcorn:

Well, as it turns out, I had 39 Windows updates to download and install and it fixed my loud computer fan noise!  I'm not sure what caused it to run loud or what updating Windows had to do with it but I'm thankful our loud computer is super quiet again  :woot:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI