This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

android

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi terry

I thought you would like to know  have been into android quite a bit to use TakeOut and  other Google features in order to back up our phones. We got one firmware update from KitKat to Lollipop then one to Marshmallow so historically thinking i figured we would get another a year from now if ever. They really are not good for the hardware as temps reach 72 degrees.

I don't know why but we just got another one week after the marshmallow one which is typically too soon.

Hope you have been ok.

Regards

Peter

probably a security update, my android phone hasn't had an upgrade from the kitkat it originally came with, upgrades depend on the phone carriers, not that i'm worried everything that is possible is disabled on my phone and it's used for 2 things only, text messages and making phone calls, battery lasts over a week before i need to charge it.

 

:popcorn:

I use mine for GPS a lot as I live fr from where I was raised-DC., then comes talk and text. I charge every other day as I am not a phone person. it is very rarely that I use email.

That is really great that you charge as little as you do.

I always thought updates were good for your security etc.

Mine came with KK too then to Lollipop and now Marshmellow. I see no difference except it got heated so much during the updates. I was hoping Google would release the strangle hold it has on what you can move to the sd card but it is still being big brother. I will try to do a you do and stop as many things from draining the battery and causing heat. I doubt I will ever get another update but if i do I not accept it.

I have my hands full with Windows, Android(PC) and the 2 phones but my wife does not know how to do much electronically. if you think i am bad you should talk with her. At least i can change batteries but the heat of the update is a worry.

Have a nice Sunday

Peter

"Researchers have discovered new Android malware dubbed Godless that contains multiple root exploits to obtain access to affected devices. The malicious software can target any Android device powered with Android Lollipop version 5.1 or earlier, which accounts for approximately 90% of devices."

 

The above why I update my device, terry.

 

You probably know how to avoid this with Kitkat but I would not.

 

Can you root your phone allowing to do what you wish? I watched tutorials and it seems complicated especially the part about protecting it from updates that remove root.

 

I will ever get another update but if i do I not accept it.

always accept any updates, for best security.

 

 

Can you root your phone allowing to do what you wish? I watched tutorials and it seems complicated especially the part about protecting it from updates that remove root.

yes i could root my phone and install the latest and greatest android, but i wouldn't do that.

the risks involved in rooting a phone along with opening up another security risk are just not worth it to me.

 

i'm pretty safe using the old android because i never use it on the net and i never install any apps. (it's not even connected to a google account.) so it is really a smart phone that is used more or less exactly like an old phone that was capable of sms and calls only.

 

just checked battery and it says 6 days on battery, 72% power left. i haven't used it once in those 6 days to send or make a single call or sms message. :D

 

:popcorn:

I liked Lollipop where you could use grayscale without disabling too many features but marshmallow,in power saver minor, really blocks a lot of features. I am going to try to travel 600 miles and I guess using Location with no data is best. I do not know if power saver will restrict GPS/location though.

I rarely use the internet and use about 120 mb's per month.of data. I share with my wife who uses les and we have 1GB.

Once I inadvertently slide the light slider to dark and could not see to use the phone. What is the best way to solve that?

 

Once I inadvertently slide the light slider to dark and could not see to use the phone. What is the best way to solve that?

no idea peter, i have an android smart phone (2 actually) but as you can see i don't really use it as an android smart phone, so i know next to nothing about using the android os or any of it's apps.

 

but at a guess i'd say slide it back quick so you can see them again. :rofl:

 

:popcorn:

my mobile phone costs per month are zero, zilch, nada peter,

so nope, no other deal would benefit me.

 

i got a free sim as part of my broadband package which includes i think 100 minutes of calls, 250 texts, and 200 MB of data per month free, so as long as i don't go over those limits it costs me nothing, and of course i never do because i hardly ever use my mobile.

i really only have it for when i'm out and about and might need to contact someone if there's an emergency, like my car broke down.

 

:popcorn:

I see. That is what we used the tracfone for.

Everyone has different needs. I have about 100 contacts like doctors etc.

Also we need to access the web as we are not used to this area and then we can use the GPS.

I envy your simplicity; this is a rat race so the phone' s are a life line

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI