This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Admin Block

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I hope someone can help because I have searched the net 3 days now and see no reference to my problem. I call it Admin Block because anything associated with admin is not accessible.

This problem started all at once as I attempted to exit a movie I had watched on Youtube Tuesday afternoon and the computer was unresponsive to the point I forced power off. When I powered back on, the signon screen appeared as usual but I could not enter my password. After several attempts I decided to try safe mode in order to restore to an earlier date but my keyboard would not respond in order to select safe mode nor would it respond to exit the safe mode screen. Next I attempted to use the recovery disc I had made a couple of years ago for this 2010 Lenovo Z560 Core I3 with Windows 7 Home Premium (I bought it new in January 2011) which has about 60 gigs of harddrive free, but accessing setup utility to select to boot from optical drive did not happen because the keyboard did not respond. I aslo went ahead and inserted the disc and turned the laptop on and could hear the optical drive starting but it did not launch recovery. I next tried F8 and got the recovery screen with the option to launch recovery already highlighted but again, the keyboard would not respond when I hit enter. Finally on this Lenovo Z560, there is a hole to use something like the point of a pen to launch one key recovery but it only starts the laptop normally to give the signon screen. I have taken apart my laptop to access the cmos battery and this model has the battery soldered in; I saw a post that suggested to bridge or short the positive and negative connections for a few seconds and that would act as removing the battery to reset the bios, that didn't work.

I have a non-admin user set up that I can select on startup because it is not password protected and it allows me to open ie but the keyboard only allows enter and will not type in address bar or search bar but the mouse works to navigate links.

This computer was hijacked about three years ago where it acted erractic but I was able to use the one key recovery because starting in safe mode did not help. So I had to start over from there but in these three years there has been only minor setbacks where I used system restore to an earlier date to be satisfied the problem was solved. I think the last time I had to use system restore to an earlier date was in November.

Can someone help?

Hi cehsr55,

 

I'm sorry to hear of your troubles.  Unfortunately, here in the malware forum we are less than helpful when the issue keeps you from being able to submit logs for review.

 

Therefore, it appears to me that the first thing needed is to gain access to your keyboard.  I suggest that you post in the hardware forum here:  https://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showforum=126

 

Once you get the keyboard working, then you may want to return to the malware forum, submit logs, and a helper will go through them to find any malware.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI