Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Windows 7 black screen with cursor only, unless in safe mode

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rondolious

Rondolious

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 08:41 PM

Hello, this is my first post on a forum like this so bear with me pls! I was encountering the dreaded black screen of death after logging in, but fortunately still had my mouse cursor somewhat operational and safe mode fully operational. So basically, in normal mode, my desktop was completely missing, and task manager was inaccessible. I tried searching the web for a solution, but all attempts ended in vain. However, after briefly skimming several search results, the notion to try activating sticky keys came to mind. I hit the 'shift' key 5-6 times in a row, in rapid succession, and the sticky keys dialogue came up. I then clicked the link saying something about 'go to ease of access settings' and then was able to start to navigate windows explored, with many limitations of course. So basically, from here I navigated to my antivirus folder to see if m av eset could do anything for me. I opened 'egui' and then the firewall became active and asked if I wanted to allow something along the lines of "windows login application" to have permission to run. I hit temporarily allow, since I was unsure of its origin or function. Suddenly, my desktop came t life and full functionality seems to have been restored. I think I should have told eset to permanently allow that thing to run, lol. So now I am running a virus scan as admin, and pending a clean scan result, I plan to reboot my computer for the first time since my desktop came back to life. I will post details after I get that far. Just an fyi: Before the initial black screen with cursor that I encountered, i had just finished uninstalling "tuneup utilities 2010" and then rebooted my computer. After that, the next thing was the black screen. Hope this helps all those people experiencing this problem or something similar! Updating soon.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Rondolious

Rondolious

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 11:47 PM

a virus scan by eset security has turned up clean, and with a restart of my computer, i have yet again encountered the black screen with cursor / missing desktop problem. i got my computer back to "working" order again by doing the sticky keys trick, and then going to my eset folder in program files, and then starting egui. i am performing another virus scan right now, but with little confidence it will provide any fruitful results. i have also briefly scanned through services (found by pressing start button and just typing 'services') to try and find that 'windows logon application thing' but have not found anything resembling it there. for now, i hope this post proves as a temporary fix for some people, while i labor to find a permanent solution either my own accord or information found on some other sites. i will try and reply here with any useful information. message me or reply if u can help at all! thanks!

#3 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Global Moderator
  • 20,451 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 12:32 AM

This may not solve your problem... but barring input from the Tech Team... you might want to try Windows 7 Startup repair.

Information on how to accomplish that can be found here: http://www.sevenforu...tup-repair.html
Tomk
------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft MVP 2010-2014

#4 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 04:43 AM

Tomk has provided you with his usual wise words (Thanks Tom)
:thumbup:
and the link he provided may help you do the trick.
If you used Tuneup utilities 2011 and optimized your Windows system or otherwise made Registry changes with it, then this could be a possible cause of the problem. (triggered off by its uninstall)

If you made a back up of your Registry before making any changes then it would be wise to consider using this (the backed up Registry) before going to great lengths in the repair of your computer.

If you didn't do a back up of your Registry then if you can get to the System Restore facility on your computer you could set it back in time to just before all the trouble started and sometimes this can provide a quick and easy fix.
Details available from here:
http://www.sevenforu...em-restore.html

Good luck and I hope you get it fixed Ok
Regards
paws

Edited by paws, 27 December 2010 - 04:45 AM.

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#5 Rondolious

Rondolious

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 12:59 PM

hello again and thank you for the prompt replies! wow, i can't believe i got 2 definitive answers in such a timely manner! thank you very much! so the first fix i tried was the system restore one. as of right now, it seems to be working perfectly, and even survived a quick reboot with no more black screen with cursor / missing desktop. i forgot to mention earlier that i had installed tuneup utilities 2011 after i had gotten my computer to the semi-working state after trying the sticky keys trick. after system restore, both 2010 and 2011 versions were left in my program files(x86). i tried to uninstall it through normal means but had no luck. it kept saying there were .bpl files missing. i tried to replace them as needed but the list never seemed to have an ending. getting frustrated, i tried to download the install file for tuneup util 2011 and used that to uninstall all previous versions, and then stopped the install from proceeding to the actual install portion. so far everything seems okay. i am going to try to reboot my computer once more for the first time since i have fixed my computer via system restore and then removed tuneup utils 2010 and 2011. removing tuneup utils 2010 is what triggered the first event of black screen with cursor only / missing desktop, unless in safe mode. hopefully i won't have the same problem again! wish me luck :D

#6 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 01:56 PM

Hi Rondolious.
Welcome to WTT :thumbup:

"Tuneup Utilities 2010" is a PC Optimizer (speed-me-up, free-up diskpace, fix all PC errors, clean out the registry etc), which places it right up there among other top-shelf snake-oil software that often lead to OS errors and BSOD problems.

Although you might have paid money for Tuneup Utilities, I would recommend un-installing it.
If you downloaded it on a 30day trial, stop trialling and bin it.

If you have trouble un-installing the program, download the free version of Revo Uninstaller to your desktop.
http://www.revounins...e_download.html

Cheers,
Lee

The free advice, opinions and sentiments expressed here are mine only, so you can safely assume I have no software or OS company patrons or any other benefactors when I post in this forum.

#7 Rondolious

Rondolious

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 02:07 PM

okay, so my computer survived the restart after, for lack of a better term, simulating the event that first caused my problem. i am glad to say that it safely rebooted and has returned to normal conditions. however, i do see traces that are left behind by tuneup utilities 2010 and 2011. i downloaded the revo uninstaller and tried it out, but tuneup utils is not showing up, even though it is present in my start button > all programs > "tuneup utilities" as well as "tuneup utilities 2011". does anyone have some advice as to what would be the best way about getting rid of these annoyances? normally i would just go into program files and search for anything resembling tuneup utils and delete them, but seeing as how i have just recently restored my computer to a satisfactory condition, i am a bit hesitant to go exploring in such a manner! any additional help from anyone would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance!

#8 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 02:24 PM

You can safely "right-click" on the item in your start menu list, and select "remove from this list", to get rid of the annoyance.
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.