This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Possible infection, cannot turn on wifi [Solved]

8 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I'm not sure why that isn't working. After you pasted it in did you press Enter?

I'm also not really clear about how you were unable to manually uninstall it. Please do the following and let me know if it was successful this time or if not, where the problem arose:
 

  • in Control Panel click on Programs & Features
  • up on the left click on View installed updates
  • find Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3147458) and double-click on it
  • a window will pop up saying Are you sure you want to uninstall this update?
  • click Yes.

Let me know how that goes.

Nina

 

I did not copy it. I pressed enter after typing it in. That is when the window comes up and a new line to enter a command. I directly typed it in because I am communicating through my phone. It is my only access to internet.

I followed the instructions. An update with that number does not show in my uninstall update list.

Sorry to have not been more helpful with this but as I say, this is not my realm of expertise.

I think that the update may be the problem but I would suggest that you start a topic in our Windows forum where they will be more likely to diagnose and solve the problem.

Please let me know what you decide to do.

Nina

Click the window icon > click settings> update and security > advances options > view update history

Here is where you see it stated the update KB3147458 was installed on 4/12/2016.

Here is also where I see update KB3156421 failing, then installed, then failing to install again.

If there are no virus I would be fine with trying the windows forum. Do I reference this topic there?

Thank you very much for your time and help.

Let's try one final thing before you do that. We'll try to restore your computer to how it was before that update failed.

System Restore

  • right-click (or press and hold) the Start button, then select Control Panel
  • search Control Panel for Recovery
  • select Recovery > Open System Restore > Next
  • choose the restore point related to the problematic app, driver or update, then select Next > Finish.

Let me know if there is any change.

 

Nina

The closet restore point I have is for 5/14/2016. KB3156421 failed to install first on 5/13/2016. Will this help? I am willing to try it out.

According to your logs Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit created a Restore Point on 13th May.

Try System Restore as it can do no harm and if it is still the same, I suggest you go ahead to the Windows forum, (you can put a link to this topic in your first post).

Please again let me know what happens so that I can continue or close this topic.

Nina

Okay. The restore point created by Malwarebytes does not show in the list. The oldest is for 5/14. I tried to restore and it would not allow.Said security software may be prohibiting the restore. Turned security software off. Still can't restore. Uninstalled the KB3156421 update. Still no wifi.I will go ahead to the Widows forum.

OK. Sorry we couldn't solve it here but you'll hopefully get some expert advice at the Windows forum.

 

I'll close this topic but I'll keep an eye on the Windows topic for my own education , (and curiosity). Good luck.

 

Nina

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI