This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

New Toshiba Satellite acting strangely

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I don't know what "tag" is, or what prefix is… or "separated by con". All I know is that my laptop is out of control. I suddenly got a "D" instead of Google on search bar, and ever since then my whole desktop has gone haywire. All my icons have gone massive large, and my tool bar that used to be at the bottom of screen is now on the right side, very tiny. My mouse pad no longer works.. if I touch it, to move the arrow, everything zooms to 180% or more… have I been hacked?

Hi, you don't mention the details of your computer or operating system, but I'll make some suggestions for your consideration that are based on Windows 7. if its the icons in your browser that are too big.

 

1 Press and hold Ctrl and Shift at the same time press the minus key  (it's next to the Plus key usually) this will reduce the size of your icons…. if they are still too big then repeat the process…… Ctrl and Shift and minus key reduces the size whilst Ctrl and Shift and plus key increases them.

 

2 If your taskbar has suddenly moved from its traditional position at the foot of the screen to the right hand side then try this:

Right click (it must be a right click) on a blank area of the taskbar and in the submenu click on Properties, set the location of the taskbar to "bottom", click apply and then OK and see if things have improved.

 

3 If its your desktop where the icons are too big then try this
Right click ( it must be a right click) a blank area of your desktop and click on personalize then click on display and then click on the magnifier link and using the plus and minus buttons should enable you to select the correct size.

 

Post back and let us know how you get on….. the symptoms you describe so far ( large icons and a moved taskbar are not those generally associated with having been hacked…. however we can refer you to our malware removal experts, once you have completed the above steps and reported back, on if it has done the trick for you….. if that is what you would like

Regards

paws
 

I JUST got yer reply after all these weeks…… when I go onto your website and type in "anything",login name or password,  I am immediately sent to some odd website, mostly that tells me about how how need to "upgrade" or "get rid of pop-ups"…. it goes on and on…. no matter what website I am on, even Mapquest…. if i try to type in something…. blam. I get another website popping up. I try to delete/exit…and it gives me another message… "are you sure you want to leave this page?"….. it goes on and on.

 
I have Norton antivirus… but have daily, 20X day of some Trojan trying to come in…. so tired.
 
Look, after the first time I posted…. about desktop just suddenly gone hairwire without me doing anything… I knew something was wrong, because basically I how to tweak my desktop. But someone said, oh, do this and that to tweak yer desktop. Which I already knew how to do.. If yer computer automatically changes things against yer preferences…. that is "Alert." I did not change my desktop; someone else did.
 
For some reasons weird things happened to my desktop, and my Preferences… So, anyway… so I get this "official" sounding popup on my computer, and like an ole lady dummy I caled l…. they're gonna fix all this, right?… Yeah.. "Microsoft Certified Technicians"…. hey.. where are you?? They had to say their names two time before I could understand their words. "Who do you work for?"  "Microsoft, in California."
They did some kind of "get all in my puter"…. i saw the mouse going all over…. I said something about that…"Dont touch your computer, Ma'am". I said, "What?" and guy said,, "DON'T touch your computer!"…. so, a few minutes later guy says, " We have found the problem, Ma'am. It will cost you $199 to fix."… I say, NO No way I can afford that!… he says, "So then, how much CAN you afford?" I said, "At the most $50, but I'd never pay it to you because you are a scam."
 
In a twinkling of an eye, seriously, they changed my desktop picture to one of my daughter's graduation photo of blowing a big kiss that took up the whole screen, and changed all my selections to "pink"… which I detest. And not only that, but also hacked my wireless printer that now only prints pages and pages of "UNTITLED $50 …PAGE 1" in great huge letters, and I cannot stop it…. it's not even listed in queue…. i tried to shut it down, it still prints the same big ole pages… wasting my ink…
 
I knew someone had hacked me…. but now it is serious… Someone disabled my Norton in this process. I don't know how this happened. Since then, I have contacted my Provider and Norton. We have done all we can.
 
But, even so…no matter what website I go to, where I have to fill in a form… I will automatically be thrown to an ad website, mostly for computer repair… I have Pop Ups disabled, yet the alerts I get are mostly "your pop-ups are disabled, call this number to fix this problem." It goes on and on….."call this Microsoft Certified Technician to fix this problem." It took me 30 minutes to sneak around to get on What The Tech without going through all those pop-ups…. and hacky pages. Yes, my Chrome Google has pop-ups blocked… *sigh*
 
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite, OS Windows 10 
Thanks for your help,
OtterTF

Hi OtterTF,

All understood,

Thanks for the extra information

 

Yes it does look like you may well have undesirable code/elements on your computer.

 

It would be wise, therefore, for you to visit the following page:

http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=106388

follow the directions, posting your logs in that forum (not here please as we do not analyse them on this subforum) They will analyse your logs, and provide detailed step by step, instructions for you on how best to proceed.

 

It would be helpful to the Virus and Spyware removal experts to see a link to your topic here, so please include it in your post to them.

If, once your machine has been declared clear of undesirable elements and you are still having issues with it, post back here in this subforum and we will do our best to help you.
Regards
paws

 

Paws, I will try again, for the 10th time to access the link you gave me.. each time I am sent "somewhere else." With a pop-up that tells me that I can fix "this or that" and prevents me from accessing the "guru-techies" that can help… *in tears now*. At least 3 or 4 pages pop up instead of that link you sent. I can't seem to get to them… 

 

Otter

Paws, I think I got the website for Removal… it might take me awhile to read and fully understand the instructions… on my way.. Thanks, Otter

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI