This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Can't get sfs /scannow to run

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

PC: Selfbuilt about 3 years old

CPU: AMD FX8120 AM3+ 3.1 ghz

Windows: 7 Home Premium

Memory: Vengeance DDR 3 1600mhz

 

Hi I have recently had a Malware problem which was resolved with the help of the kind folks at safer networking.  During the process of fixing the problem a began to have occasional BSOD.  The malware issues do not seem to have been related to the BSOD but the person helping me with the Malware suggested a couple system tools which has turned up some problems with system files.  They then suggested that I post thread here to try to get some helping solving the problems.

 

I have run chkdsk, which ran fine just finding some unused index entries which it cleaned up.  I was also advised to run sfc /scannow unfortunately this had problems running.  First I tried running it through an elevated command prompt in windows but it gets 21% through the verification process then stops & reports that it is unable to perform the requested action.  Next I tried to run it on boot, but it would not run at all & just reported that it was unable to perform the requested action.  I have managed to run sfc /verifyonly, which has confirmed that there are problems with my system files, I have an sfcdetails.txt with the log for these.

 

I have run bluescreenview from which I got the following log:

 

==================================================
Dump File : 102415-13166-01.dmp
Crash Time : 24/10/2015 00:36:28
Bug Check String : KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Bug Check Code : 0x0000001e
Parameter 1 : 00000000`00000000
Parameter 2 : 00000000`00000000
Parameter 3 : 00000000`00000000
Parameter 4 : 00000000`00000000
Caused By Driver : atapi.sys
Caused By Address : atapi.sys+1ee1
File Description : ATAPI IDE Miniport Driver
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 6.1.7600.16385 (win7_rtm.090713-1255)
Processor : x64
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+741d0
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\102415-13166-01.dmp
Processors Count : 8
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 7601
Dump File Size : 319,952
Dump File Time : 24/10/2015 00:37:28
==================================================

==================================================
Dump File : 101815-13088-01.dmp
Crash Time : 18/10/2015 01:51:15
Bug Check String : KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Bug Check Code : 0x0000001e
Parameter 1 : 00000000`00000000
Parameter 2 : 00000000`00000000
Parameter 3 : 00000000`00000000
Parameter 4 : 00000000`00000000
Caused By Driver : tcpip.sys
Caused By Address : tcpip.sys+16d9a0
File Description : TCP/IP Driver
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 6.1.7600.16385 (win7_rtm.090713-1255)
Processor : x64
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+741d0
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\101815-13088-01.dmp
Processors Count : 8
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 7601
Dump File Size : 319,952
Dump File Time : 18/10/2015 01:53:53
==================================================

==================================================
Dump File : 101715-13603-01.dmp
Crash Time : 17/10/2015 17:01:45
Bug Check String : KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Bug Check Code : 0x0000001e
Parameter 1 : ffffffff`c000001d
Parameter 2 : fffff880`0a614f20
Parameter 3 : 00000000`00000000
Parameter 4 : 00000000`00000000
Caused By Driver : ntoskrnl.exe
Caused By Address : ntoskrnl.exe+74200
File Description : NT Kernel & System
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 6.1.7601.19018 (win7sp1_gdr.150928-1507)
Processor : x64
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+74200
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\101715-13603-01.dmp
Processors Count : 8
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 7601
Dump File Size : 276,880
Dump File Time : 17/10/2015 17:03:04
==================================================

Any help with fixing the system files and hopefully (at the same time) resolving the BSOD would be much appreciated.

Hi rudebadger and welcome to our forums:

:welcome: 

It would be helpful if you could provide the link to your topic at safer networking so we can get a better idea of what is going on inside your computer.

 

A note of the make/model number of your motherboard would be useful so we can check our data sheets

 

Have you all the necessary tools, drivers, disc images, installation discs and product keys/serial numbers etc to perform a complete reinstall of Wwindows should this be necessary, and perhaps most important are your backups,verified, comprehensive and contain everything you want to save? and with several copies kept safe on removable media offsite?

 

Post back with the information and one of us will advise the next steps

Regards

paws

Hi Ztruker, thanks very much for the quick response.

 

I ran SURT then tried sfc again.

 

Unfortunately still no joy, first through elevated command prompt which gets to 22% (1% better than last time :) ) before reporting windows resource protection cannot perform the requested operation.  Also tried it on boot but it still does not even start the verification & just reports windows resource protection cannot perform the requested operation.

This is what shows as the probable cause:

 

PROCESS_NAME:  armoredwarfare

Some kind of Tank game?

IMAGE_NAME:  SnakeEyes.sys
IMAGE_NAME:  SnakeEyes.sys

These are for Corsair M65 Gaming Mouse as far as I can tell.

 

See if there is a updated driver for the mouse or try a different mouse.

Yeah its a new game that I have only installed in the last month or so.

 

Ok the drivers I have seem to be the most recent, but I did find someone having a similar problem on the corsair forums.  He resolved the problem by uninstalling then reinstalling the the drivers, I have done this also so hopefully that may resolve the BSOD issue.

 

Is there anything else I need to do regarding the the sfc /scannow?  The sfc /verifyonly did report problems, do I need to worry about trying to fix these or continue trying to get sfc /scannow to run?

Ok will leave it as is for now, not had anymore BSODs but will report back if anymore problems come up.

 

Thanks very much for your help.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI