This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

No File Associations

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

It used to be that, if I clicked on a file and then right click and open with, I would get a list of recommended file associations. On the bottom of the list I would get an option to "Choose default program". If I selected this an "Open with" window would appear I could select a recommended exe or browse to another exe I would then have the option to always use the program to open this kind of file. Now when I select "Choose default program" I get a File association helper that says Unable to find software for the selected file. If I select the bottom radio button "Search through Windows" I can get the Open with dialogue but the Always use…. tick box is blank and greyed out. Any ideas as to the cause? It's affecting a lot of my file types. :wall:
Thanks in advance.

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
Processor Count: 8
RAM: 8173 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 SE, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 85754 MB, Free - 12490 MB;
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., P8P67-M
Antivirus: Kaspersky PURE 3.0, Updated and Enabled

 

As well as the approach set out by Rich (Ztruker) in the post above there is also an automated tool that may well do the trick for you.

 

The free version of The Windows All in One Repair Tool, is available from here:

http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html

 

When carrying out the final steps I would be inclined to only fix the file associations….. the tool will repair many issues with Windows…. but remember the old saying..

 

" if it aint broke, don't go trying to fix it!

 

Post back and let us know how you get on.

Re3gards

paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI