This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Unused .MSI and .MSP files

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello, I'm not sure if this issues has been discussed on here or not. I have a lot of space on my primary hard drive (222 GB) being used up by .MSI and .MSP files in the C:Windows\ Installer folder (171 gb). I googled this problem and one site said to install and run Windows Installer unused files cleanup tool. Just wanting a second opinion.

 

Thanks

Btbenoit

Download and run Treesize Free Portable, see what it shows you.

 

I find 222GB for Installer hard to believe. My Win 8.1 Pro X64 system has 3.1GB and my Win 7 Pro X64 system has 453MB.

 

Edit: If you decide to run the Windows Installer unused files cleanup tool, make sure you do an Image backup to an external drive using Macrium Reflect Free first so you can restore if things go wrong.

The pic you posted does not include the Installer folder tree.
 
Run Treesize as Administrator by right clicking on it and selecting Run as Administrator then once the tree is complete, expand Windows so we can see the folders under it, including Installer. Post another picture.
 
Also, do this, see if it helps:   WinSxS Folder (Component Store) - Clean Up in Windows 8.1

 

Just found this which indicate not to run Windows Installer unused files cleanup tool:

 

 

Will someone at Microsoft please look into this issue and provide a better response than the Installer Cleanup Utility that is provided "as-is" and is documented to break other applications.

It doesnt show Administrator when I right click. I should have put in my first post that I'm running Windows XP.

 

In XP, click Run as then select Administrator.

The right way to clean this up is to save your data then do a Clean Install of XP. Anything else sounds too risky to me.

 

You could make an image backup to an external hard drive then try the Windows Installer unused files cleanup tool. If it causes problems then restore the backup image. I would use Macrium Reflect Free for this.

Ok let me try again

 

Really not necessary as the previous PDF you posted had everything in it. I don't think running as Administrator will show anything different.

personally if your going to do a reinstall anyway then you have nothing to lose by trying a quick fix, so i'd just delete the the very first item under the installer folder called [Files] which takes up 172GB and see what happens, make sure you backup all your data first, which you'd need to do anyway before doing a clean install.

 

:popcorn:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI