Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Low Disk Space?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 angyangy

angyangy

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 11:52 AM

Hi,

Well, I wasn't quite sure where to put this under but I figure this topic was worth a shot. My problem is that my hardrive is 80 GB and to my knowledge I've only used just a bit over 10 GB. However, my computer informs me that i apparently used most of that 80 and is now down to 676 MB.

This is really odd for me and I tried disk scanning and defragmentation. Neither helped. However, I did find the folder/file that seems to be taking up 69.6 GB and it's called

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\LiveUpdate\Downloads\liveupdt.tri

The only program I can relate this file to is my Norton Anti-Virus program since I do update the virus definitions and files. however, it's extremely strange for me that it would use up 69.6 GB.

Oh, and I guess I should include some of the past history of this computer. I think less than a week ago, my browser was hijacked which I managed to solve the problem. However, perhaps I didn't solve it completely if this file uses up 69.6 GB out of nowhere. I don't think this is a virus since i scanned with my Norton and the Trend Micro online virus scanner.

So, i'm hoping that someone would be kind of enough to inform me how to fix this problem for I'm somewhat computer illiterate. Thank you for your time!

angy

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Micah_6:8

Micah_6:8

Evilware Emancipator

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts
  • Interests:Web (Perl, PHP, JavaScript, HTML) programming, CNC programming, Squashing spyware!

Posted 24 July 2004 - 01:39 PM

What version of Norton do you have?

There is a little known fact about Norton is that when it updates it leaves useless folders around (in some instances).

I have Norton 2004. The place where my "useless folders" are located is here:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VirusDefs

The updates arrive in folders associated with the date. Currently I have these updates in there (these are all FOLDERS):

You can see the name format "date.update".

Norton doesn't tell anyone, but after updating your virus defintions, you can delete all but the latest 2 folders.

I have already done that. I kept both of the "20040719" folders since they have the same date (just different update numbers). When an update causes another folder to be created, I will delete those 2 folders ("20040719").

These folders average 9 MB on my machine.

Could you post at least a partial listing of the files/folders in this folder on your machine:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\LiveUpdate\Downloads <--- folder

Maybe I could help in deciphering what (if anything) you can "live without". :)

----------------------------------------------------------

Anyone that deletes any files/folders after reading this post does so at their own risk!!!

The advice given here may NOT be true for all versions of Norton software.

This post is meant to help this particular person ONLY!

Micah 6:8 He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

The help you receive here is free.
If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online.

Want to help others? Join the ClassRoom and learn how.

Download Hijack This! My Website: UnSpyMe!

#3 angyangy

angyangy

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 01:13 AM

Hi! Thanks for trying to help. Well, I'm currently using Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition copyright 2000. The folders in the file you requested for me to post up are these ones. C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\LiveUpdate\Downloads\liveupdt.sig This one is a sig file it says and it came about my computer July 21 and is 3Kb. C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\LiveUpdate\Downloads\liveupdt.grd And this one came about July 21 as well and is 117 KB. And the last one was the one I posted. C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\LiveUpdate\Downloads\liveupdt.tri and that one came about july 23rd though i really don't remember it. not to mention, this is the one which is oddly enough 69.6 GB Also there is a compressed zip file called livetri and that one came about July 23rd as well. The compressed one is only 193 KB. I hope these information help somehow, because i'm tempted to just delete it. Oh gosh... i don't know what to do and my computer hates me so. Thanks for trying and hope you can help me figure this out! -angy :)

#4 Micah_6:8

Micah_6:8

Evilware Emancipator

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts
  • Interests:Web (Perl, PHP, JavaScript, HTML) programming, CNC programming, Squashing spyware!

Posted 25 July 2004 - 09:47 AM

I did a Google search for "liveupdate.tri".

About the best page I found was this one:

http://www.soldin.de...0HOWTO.txt.html

I learned that the file "liveupdate.tri" is a text file ("man readable") that contains a list of available updates for ALL Norton products.

I'm not sure, but from reading the web page on the link above, there may be a way to remove unwanted items from the file. It's not real clear to me.

Before deleting the file, a safer approach might be to just rename it, and try doing an update. If the update goes well, then maybe deleting the file would be safe. I'm really not sure, so I can't advise one way or the other. You'll have to proceed at your own risk.

I'm sorry I couldn't be more help than this. :(
Micah 6:8 He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

The help you receive here is free.
If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online.

Want to help others? Join the ClassRoom and learn how.

Download Hijack This! My Website: UnSpyMe!