Out of curiosity… why are you messing with the Registry?
The answer to how to restore your registry depends upon how you backed it up. For example, if you made the backup with Erunt, use Erunt to restore. If you used Tweaking.com's registry backup to make the backup, then use it to restore.
Hi Peter. Though I am not sufficiently familiar with ERUNT or Tweaking, I know that both you and TomK already are correct that using the software's own restore feature is what would be supported and work.
However, in regards to the registry import features of the built in regedit or reg commands, I would say that they would not be sufficient for restoring a full registry backup. I use this feature all the time, but only to import a few exported keys or changes. The import process is subject to all the same permissions and write restrictions any tech is familiar with when trying to make changes to certain "difficult" areas of the registry.
If ERUNT or Tweaking makes a backup of the entire registry, then I would think it would be impossible to restore this backup using the import feature. First, the backed up file would have to be compatible with regedit's import. Second, the import would have to occur on an offline system because too many permission issues would be enforced by a running operating system.
I would expect that a restore from one of the above mentioned products would require a reboot afterwords? This is the only way I could see a full restore of a registry could work, with the final restore happening in an offline mode during reboot.
EDIT: Quickly reviewing the Tweaking Registry Backup tool, I get the feeling it is grabbing snapshots of the actual registry files. These are definitely not compatible with the regedit import function. You can mount these files in regedit and view them, but you can't use the import feature with them.
For the very specific purpose of creating a backup prior to installing software, frankly this is what system restore is for and it works. For the average user, I would think suggesting any other process is fairly frivolous. But, I'm probably biased as I usually prefer built-in windows tools over third party products.
You are correct. Both of the programs noted would require a reboot to finish the restore process.
Peter,
Backing things up prior to changing things is absolutely recommended. Just don't make it to hard. If you do a registry backup before installing a program… you will have a backup of the registry prior to the change. True. But the installation of a new program will change more than the registry. I recommend making backups of the registry keys before making changes to the registry… because I'm only making changes in the registry (or registry changes that might not be stored in restore points).
How about you just make a new restore point first? Restore points do not backup all of the registry keys… but it does backup the only ones that should be manipulated by an installer.
When I used the Tweaking .com reg backup I found it woked but I did not need it all the time so it was an overkill and occupied my time. However, It did keep a list of the backups you could recover from whenever you wished. VSS - you would have to read about it to get the facts as I don't know how to explain it, just how I used it.
I think you are both right that the registry should be backed up prior to change such as a new program but the sysem restore is more appropriate for the user of my limnitied skill level.
You're right as I concluded my last post. You are on 8.1 now right?
I think it is the best OS I have ever used. It does everything I want it to. I did not even install the shell for the Win 7 look.
I wish they would keep this for some time to come and stop trying this and that.
I know they want an OS that works on every device but that could have been done before this hassle. I was reading about the great % of people who use win 7 and the very few who are using 8.1
I do not understand why.
I think Win 10 will be an attempt to compromise 8.1 and 7 to address all the criticisms of those who do not like 8.1.
I imaged to 7 once and found it slow, work intensive and slow. I could not wait to get back to 8.1.
I use 8.1 on my Desktop and 10 on my laptop. I use Start8 with 8.1, nothing with 10 yet but will use Start8 or Classic Shell once it's released as I do not like the hybrid start menu it has (a mix of Win 7 start menu and win 8.1 start screen).
Agree 8.1 is the best OS released to date and expect 10 to be as good or better.