How do you back up the entire registry, not just the key or part of it you are working on, with regedit?
I recieved a link but it was only about backing up a part of the registry and would like to back up the entire registry.
Once I understand that, I would feel safer about using Ccleaner, for example.
I could then inquire about erunt to see which I am more comfortable with..
Lee, I have ben mistaken.
I thought the entire registry could be backed up with regedit.
ERUNT seems to be the way. I noticed all three boxes were checked.
Following the directions given does a new back up take place when Windows boots up or do you do it manually?
Would it be a good idea to perform a manual backup rather than an automatic one, or not?
I am asking a couple of questions before I perform the instaaltion to be sure.
I assume you just double click the ERUNT folder in its location to recover the registry.
When you recover a registry, is everything in the systen recovered? In other words is everything as it was before the recovery?
Thank you for the reference.
Peter
[attachment removed]
When clicking on the Erunt icon, the bottom box above opens. The window in that box shows the default destination of where the registry backup will go. C:\WINDOWS\ERUNT. The date is todays date which would be attached to the file if I went ahead with the backup task.
It's a hassle to go to C:\WINDOWS\ERUNT, so I've clicked on the button with the 3 dots on it. That opens the top window where I have scrolled to My Documents and created a folder called ERUNT (easier to get to).
This is a simple process which takes less than a min. and I always do an Erunt Backup before installing a new program or doing anything to the registry. It's like a registry system restore.
When you install ERUNT, the last screen will offer you the option of creating an auto backup every time you boot you PC. Choose "No" and do manual backups only.
To restore a backup, open your ERUNT folder where the backup went and double click the folder with the date you want and you will see this.
[attachment removed]
Double click the erunt icon (third one down) called ERDNT. When complete, reboot and you will have the registry back the way it was, exactly.
Try the whole process out, It's simplicity itself and very safe. Do a back-up and then a restore. Reboot and your done!
If you install ERUNT in Vista or W7, make sure you turn off "User Account Control" in Windows' Control Panel (move the slider to the lowest position) before you make a backup or restore a backup..
Cheers,
Lee
Hi Llee
You manually create a folder in my documents - can this be done at any time or just when you click on when you did?
To restore, you click on the 3rd Erdnt down which looks like it actually says Erdnt, rightt?
Lastly, I will 'no' to automatic. The whole proces begins by downloading Erunt and when you want to create a backup of the registry you click on the icon and do as you have illustrated above?
I nootice you cretae a backup for any registry cgange or ne w program installation. Would it be advisable to create one each week? I think i read that the last Erunt falls off when it is too full?
Your explanation and all was terrific. I wish everyone was as thorough as you and not asume some of us know more than we do.
I'll let you know. I may do this when I am home and have one pc to watch while I operate on the other.
Thank you.
Peter, why are you making this so complicated. Just follow the directions.
Install ERUNT, you're done.
If you have ERUNT installed and doing regular backups of your registry each time you boot, then recovery from registry related problems is easy. See the information in the ERUNT Documentation under Restoring the registry with ERDNT for details. It would be a good idea to print out all of the documentation or at the least the parts on the various methods of restoring the registry and keep it in a safe place. When you need it the most, it will be unavailable because your computer won't boot!
If you start ERUNT and do a manual backup, you will see that the default location for storing backups is C:\WINDOWS\ERDNT.
To restore, just navigate to that location then chose a restore that you named (manual backup) or open the Autobackup folder then choose the date you want to restore to, open that folder and double click on it's ERDNT.EXE file. Take all defaults and follow instructions. Reboot when done and the restored registry will be active.
Restoring the registry when your system won't boot is covered in the Documentation.
Z - you and I have a lttle history and I can tell from past threads that I irk you a bit.
Without airing all of my laundry on the web, suffice to say, we all have issue to deal with. Some are more serious than others. I admit to my imperfection and have never tried to defend my faults.
I do not seek sympathy, just courtesy. Most people I interact with, are polite and courteous.and when I become redundant or display a little off center behavior, it is over looked and the issue is the kept focus of the thread.
We don't live forever and it doesn't hurt to make allowances for those less gifted than one might be.
If I offend or irk you, please take the high road and just overlook my post.
Some less skilled/capable need a bit more assurance at times than others.
Peace
Peter
Hi Llee
You manually create a folder in my documents - can this be done at any time or just when you click on when you did?
To restore, you click on the 3rd Erdnt down which looks like it actually says Erdnt, rightt?
Lastly, I will 'no' to automatic. The whole proces begins by downloading Erunt and when you want to create a backup of the registry you click on the icon and do as you have illustrated above?
I nootice you cretae a backup for any registry cgange or ne w program installation. Would it be advisable to create one each week? I think i read that the last Erunt falls off when it is too full?
Yes, you can manually create an ERUNT Backup folder in My Document first.
To create a backup do as I have illustrated.
Double click the ERDNT icon to restore the registry.
Yes, you could create a ERUNT backup every week, but it's not necessary as System Restore creates regular System backups.
Just use ERUNT before you install a new program or do a manual Microsoft update download.
The ERUNT folder never "fills up" and nor does the backup process slow down, but it doesn't hurt to delete all but the latest two backups every now and then.
Peter, I sometimes come across as "irked" or "annoyed" but I'm not. I'm really trying to understand why you (or anyone for that matter) take something simple and make it complex, be it registry backup or router usage or whatever the topic is.
I suspect you have a need to know about these things that exceeds just using them. That I understand as I also have a large curiosity bump.
Lee, Doug and Jimbo all seem to have a way with words . I'm a minimalist, short and to the point most of the time though occasionally I can wax eloquent with the best of them.
Don't ever let me or anyone else dissuade you from seeking knowledge in whatever form you need it.
Peace
Hello all
Thank you for your kind information which has allowed me to create a backup system I understand.
I am sorry for the minor misunderstandings and am very pleased we are all communicating in a friendly way.
Peace to all
Peter
Hi again
I found ERUNT interesting enough to do some reading up on it.
I cam across this article and wondered if it had any weight?
It seems to imply that with Win 7, if you back up to an external drive's folder rather than an internal folder, you can install without cautions and it will work automatically.
I also noted that you advised me not to select automatic.
I notice it did not mention anything about turning off the user account control either.
Because I know very little about the program, I just thought some of you might either find it interesting or worthless.
In any case I was not second guessing you, just trying to add an interesting bit of information for scrutiny.
"Win 7 X64 And Problems With Erunt
I have, since loading Win 7 x64, not been able to use ERUNT to automatically
backup the Registry at startup. It appears that if you elect for the ERUNT
default configuration to save the 'backup' to %systemroot%\ERDNT the backup
will fail. However, I have since learned, (Google where else?) that if you
elect to save the backup to another folder it will succeed. In my case I
save the backup to a USB drive (P:\ERDNT) and 'autobackup' runs as it should
at startup."
"Win 7 X64 And Problems With Erunt
I have, since loading Win 7 x64, not been able to use ERUNT to automatically
backup the Registry at startup. It appears that if you elect for the ERUNT
default configuration to save the 'backup' to %systemroot%\ERDNT the backup
will fail. However, I have since learned, (Google where else?) that if you
elect to save the backup to another folder it will succeed. In my case I
save the backup to a USB drive (P:\ERDNT) and 'autobackup' runs as it should
at startup."
That's handy info to know Peter, thanks.
I don't use 64bit yet, so I didn't know that.
I suppose eventually an ERUNT will be written specifically for W7 both 32bit and 64bit.
Yes, Lee, I have 64 bit but still will be doing what you suggest as I do not want auto start. When I am home I will do both pcs together.
Btw, just for curiosity's sake, does ERUNT do the same as an Acronis system image of the C: drive if all you have is one partition like me?
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI