This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

registry back up

13 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello I tried to back up my registry but when I double clicked the icon the message said there was a problem with files and the restore could not be made. I type regedit and keep the registry(upper left) collapsed; I also tried it expanded. I save it to desktop with the following information; File name = backup Save as type = Registration Files [*.reg] All with a dot Apparently from the message I'm doing something wrong. Could you help? Thank you
Hi Grampy Pete,

I suggest you download and install Erunt.exe read and follow just what the information states so that each and everytime you boot up your computer your registry will be automatically backed up.

Post back and ask questions if you are not sure of the above suggestion.

Best regards,
I will download it and if I have a question I will write back. Btw, did you see what error I was making with my manual registry backup? I was just curious. Thank you again.
Hi Grampy Pete,

Registry Backup would need to be "filename".reg (Where "filename" without the quotes would stand for the name you select)
For instance, you suggested "backup.reg" (without quotes)

In the message information you also posted (*.reg)
The asterisk (*) is what is known as a "wildcard" character and means "everything".
as in, everything that has a (.reg) file format

The way I do Registry Backup (when I do not use ERUNT) is to label the backup information with a name that includes the day's date.
So if I backed up my Registry today it would be "Backup121708" with the numbers representing month, day, year.
I would then allow it to be saved with the (.reg) file format.
So it would look like: Backup121708.reg

Can we presume that when you are attempting to backup your registry from within Registry Editor, that you are using the "Export" function?
File - Export <– using this function will allow you to save a full copy of your Registry.

ERUNT actually includes some Registry Settings that even Registry Editor does not include.
That's why Tallin recommended this more robust tool for Registry Backup.


Hope this helps.

Happy Holidays to You and Yours,
Doug
Hello I will use Erunt as it is better but would like to lay out my understanding of a manual registry backup, if I may. Run regedit>registry editor(collapsed)>export. The page then looks like; 1-save in = desktop 2-filename = Backup121708.reg(or whatever the date is). 3-save as type = Registry files (*.reg) 4-export range = all If time, could you look this over to see if it would back the registry up so if necessary a double click would restore it as it was? Thank you for the continuing learning experience.
Hello Grampy Pete,

I understand your last post and your desire to learn about backing up your registry safely. Using Erunt as you mentioned you will do is a very wise decision as you have a new backup each time you reboot your computer. From time to time you need to go into Erunt to delete older backups or the Erunt folder will get very large and unnecessarly use Space on your hard drive.

To do this:
  • Right Click on My Computer on your desktop
  • Open
  • Open C:\Drive
  • Windows
  • Erunt folder
I leave about 6 of the more recent backups current in the Erunt folder. I highlight the older versions and right click on them to delete them. They go to the Recylce Bin this way, so if you feel you made a mistake they are recoverable at the time.

Here is an alternative link that will assist you in backing up your Windows Registry the way you are enquiring about in your last post. There is no need to use the Argentum software, it costs money, but the step by step method is there for your information as requested.

Best regards,
Just a general FYI about ERUNT. If you let it add an entry to your Startup folder when you install it, then it will only keep 30 days worth of registry backups. Is call autoback.exe instead of erunt.exe. This is what it looks like on my system(s):

D:\ERUNT\AUTOBACK.EXE %SystemRoot%\ERDNT\AutoBackup\#Date# /noconfirmdelete /noprogresswindow


Following is from the ERUNT documentation:

The AUTOBACK.EXE tool
———————

The command line tool AUTOBACK.EXE uses the same syntax as ERUNT but
performs the additional task of deleting old restore folders after the
new backup has been created.

For this to work properly, the name of the last folder in the command
line option DestinationFolder must begin with the current date, or the
#Date# string, respectively. If this is the case AUTOBACK
automatically searches the parent folder of the newly created backup
for folder names of the same date format and deletes all folders
except from the last 30 days where backups have been created.

The number of restore folders to keep can be changed using the /days:n
command line switch, e.g. /days:7 would only keep the folders from the
last 7 backup days.

By default AUTOBACK does not create a new backup if one already exists
for the current day. Use the /alwayscreate switch to change this
behavior and have the program always create a new backup.

AUTOBACK is dependent on ERUNT and therefore needs to be executed from
the same folder. It uses the same settings for the date format as
ERUNT does, so if you specified a new format in ERUNT.INI it will also
be used automatically by AUTOBACK.

It reads as though manual reg backup is not as ez with xp as with previous versions of windows. If I have your information right, when you download erunt you let it add an entry to the startup folder and that's it. It will dump excessive backups yet continue to backup more than just 30 days. This is some reading I must try to uderstand more fully as it is hard. If I am wrong about erunt and the entry to the startup folder please advise me. Thank you again.

It reads as though manual reg backup is not as ez with xp as with previous versions of windows.
If I have your information right, when you download erunt you let it add an entry to the startup folder and that's it. It will dump excessive backups yet continue to backup more than just 30 days.
This is some reading I must try to uderstand more fully as it is hard.
If I am wrong about erunt and the entry to the startup folder please advise me.
Thank you again.

I have enabled in bold the important part of the quote above, so please allow the shortcut in the Startup folder then each time you boot your machine you will get a registry backup automatically. Keep it simple is my motto.

I have explained in my previous post what I do to keep the backups to a minimum to save HD space and still remain safe if you need a registry backup suddenly.

Best regards.
I now feel comfortale about using erunt and will keep and follow your notes i doing so. I'll be back to let you know how it goes and hopefully other readers will learn about this valuable tool. Thank you for your patience.
Good for you Grampy Pete, Glad you are happy with ERUNT. Makes it all so simple and safe doesn't it? Best regards, for a very Happy Festive Season to you and your family.
Hello I downloaded Erunt and ran it along with ntregopt. I now have both in my 'all programs' menu/list. I went to C:/windows and found the folder ERDNT. When I opened it there were two folders with dates which I assume are reg backup dates and a folder called Autobackup. If I want to restore the registry, do I just click on the folder Autobackup? Is there anything else I have to do? Thank you
Morning Grampy Pete,

Here is an excellent tutorial with all information regarding what to do when you need to restore your registry.

Post back if you need to ask further questions please.

Best regards,
Morning - you must be in the land down under. This is amazing that we can communicate this far - you said you would drop in with your laptop and you did just that. Enjoy! I forgot to tell you I have xp sp3 not Vista which is what the link referred to as far as I could tell. Could you briefly respond to my last post? Meanwhile I will google "how to use erunt". I basically just wanted to know 1-if I did it right and need do no more 2- if the folder in windowsautobackup(I think it is) is where I double click to restore the registry. Thank you

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI