Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 91632 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Browser contents blacked out

IE Firefox blacked-out

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kangaroo

kangaroo

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:40 PM

I have our Rural Fire Brigade's Toshiba Satellite notebook with Win7 64-bit Home Premium. It had not had Windows updates applied for a few months so I started installing them one-by-one by type and date. This went well except that the IE11 update said it was successful but is still listed in the important updates and the optional Win platform update fails.

I tried to check the training videos for our AED training but dllhost.exe consumed over 90% of the 4Gb of RAM. I eventually worked out that this was caused by the first video being corrupt. Once I replaced it with a fresh download (on my personal PC), the dllhost.exe memory problem disappeared.

I then tried to go to the Rural Fire Service District website to check for some training materials for our next training day (14 Feb).

Our default browser, Firefox, opened but all but a few items in the window were blacked out and the loading icon took quite a long time to stop. One picture (which is a random picture from the District activities) did appear but that is the only content I could see. None of the menu items were visible.

I then tried IE with a similar result; the settings icon displayed and the address bar also displayed.

I did a PrtSc of each and pasted them into the attached document. Oops! I can't upload the *.odt file type; is there another way to share these images?

As far as I could tell, all other functions were OK. I ran some of the training videos in Windows Media Player without issues and opened and created the document in Apache Office. I could also copy and paste files between folders and between the USB drive and HDD.

Device Manager does not show any issues and the Toshiba PC Diagnostics utility does not report any problems.

Where do I go from here to restore the browser functionality, please?

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 kangaroo

kangaroo

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 12:32 AM

I've saved the PrtSc pics as jpegs and will try to upload them now.

Hope these help show my problem.

Attached Thumbnails

• Firefox_blackout.jpg
  • IE_blackout.jpg

#3 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 08 February 2015 - 12:41 AM

Have you done anything to check for malware?  You may want to head over the the malware removal forum and have it checked for infections.  Its the most likely thing to be wrong.

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.

#4 kangaroo

kangaroo

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 04:24 AM

I have run MS Security Essentials which is the security suite installed on the Brigade computer. I was wondering about posting on the Malware forum so will go ahead and do that now, thanks.

#5 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 08 February 2015 - 02:46 PM

Good. If you require further assistance you can update us here.

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.