This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Was sent here by expert from the spy bot forums

37 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Currently when I boot 1 of 2 things occur. Either it goes into what seems to be a normal boot except it doesn't recognize any Internet or sound hardware or anything really… Some sort of safe mode I suppose? Or it goes into a repair boot that ends up offering me a choice to do a reset to an earlier version or not. Either choice I make then goes to a dell logo and freezes right there. I never have a pointer I can only navigate with the arrow buttons. I can get to the control panel and to the page to have it boot in safe mode with networking then the arrows will not navigate down to allow me to make that option.
Dell Inspiron 1500. Service tag, is that what you want? 6wlsgw1. Windows 8 64 bit.I can boot but I think it is in some safe mode but not with network. I can only navigate with arrow buttons, no mouse or pointer. I am pretty sure that a flash drive would be able to work but I am not sure. I am pretty certain that I was able to get to a boot that allowed me to do a restore to an earlier version but that didn't help, really. I have seen a device manager page, will check again in a few to see what I can find. I pay for an online backup service and I only use my computer for my self employed painting bill documents other than that it's pretty much typical browsing, Facebook, twitter etc.

I was hoping for maybe a code or something to put into a "run" box that maybe can get me into a safe mode with network options or some way to bypass where I am stuck right now. But I am open to anything. I guess I am not against a full start over either, if you can even get me there to do it!

Thanks for you responding, looking forward to your help!

I would say wipe it and start over but go directly to Windows 8.1 instead of Windows 8.0. Follow Option One here to get a good Windows 8.1 iso image you can use to burn a DVD or create a bootable flash drive to install with. It will install with the embedded  Windows 8.0 key.
 
Download Windows 8.1 Update ISO File with "Windows Installation Media Creation Tool"
 
Then follow these installation instructions:
 
How to Do a Clean Install of Windows 8 or Windows 8.1

 

Make sure you backup all your data first.

I am posting from an iPad…. I can't get to these links from my troubled computer… Isn't there a way to restore to factory reset on my infected machine?
I am posting from an iPad… I can't get to these links from my infected machine…. I need to know how to get a factory reset with my limited mobility on my troubled computer?

Right the warning is for IPv6 networking from what I can see, so unless your using a connection that uses such an interface it shouldn't make a difference, but if you are unable to get online it may be a part of the reason why, but it doesn't explain the other issues, at least I've never come across that as a cause before.
 
Yes that code is exactly what I was after, because with mass production there are often numerous models of the same range released, but with slight differences, the tag narrows them down to your specific model, and gives you the drivers you need that are correct for your PC, you can get the drivers from Here, should that fail (it is due to cookies when it doesn't) go to the support\drivers if needed, and put your tag into the right box, or you can let it auto detect it using the appropriate button.
 
The issue in device manager will have you jumping through a few hoops without a working mouse, as navigating between all the various bits\windows is hard if you don't know the keyboard shortcuts, but these can be found Here (there are many other places as well, but this looked the clearest for this to me), but before going into all sorts of messing around, do you want to take the possibly faster and surest route above, or try to plod on and see how it goes ?


I am thinking factory reset….
Will a full reset work for me? Restore all to default and remove all personal files and apps? I'm ready to do this, just need to know its not going to be bad?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI