This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Dell xps 8300 not starting

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello

I just moved with movers, and now the pc will not work.

I had it secured with bubble wrap etc.

 

When I press the power button I can hear it powering up but the light stays amber instead of green.

The monitor does the same -amber light and both are flashing but nothing on the monitor.

When I press the monitor lights to the left of 'on', it says it is in "protective mode".

 

Is there a way to release this mode.

It said to press any key or the mouse, or the power button, but that did not work.

 

Do these symptoms tell you what is wrong and do you have any suggestions?

I am fair with software but have not much hardware experience.

Thank you

Peter

Open it up and check all internal connections. Make sure CPU and heat sink are still firmly seated, ditto with memory and any add-on cards.

 

Also, make sure you have connected the display cable to the right place on the computer. I've done this several times when the PC had a built-in video and a add-on video by connecting to the wrong one.

PC = Dell XPS 8300, 6 GB ram, 1TB. 

The monitor is also a Dell but there is nothing written on it.

Still sorting papers from the move.

I started the thread so I wanted to finish it.

I removed all the  ram, harnesses, pins etc. that connected to  the mobo and drives and then replaced them. It booted up like new.

Thanks for the suggestion to do so.

Peter

P.S. In case I need to know, how do you replace the nickel shaped battery and under what circumstances.

I was wondering, if all is well should I tinker or wait.

I have no idea how long they last or what the protocol is, if any..

When my c was down, I tried to get it our by picking at the sides but was nitable to free it. Is there a clip or a knack to doing it or do you just pry it out?

Appreciate the reply to my post.

 

Would a failing time clock be one sign of a low battery and can you suggest any other signs that it is weak?

Messed up date/time is s sure indicator.

 

There are several different mounting methods, one vertical and two flat, that I'm aware off. All use some kind of detent to keep the battery in place, you just need to look closely to see how they are mounted.

 

I use a small screw driver to pop them out.

My battery is shaped like a nickel as they probably all are and is flat. It is very visible. I will look it over carefully to see if there is a retainer of sorts then try to use some plastic awl of sorts to pry it out. Thank you for the information.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI