Wondering if someone can help. I have been running Windows 7 Ultimate for some time now. Recently, my Windows sidebar will not come up when starting my computer. I checked the start-up menu and it is set to start; So, I went to the Microsoft web-site and they instructed me to follow this DOS procedure. It works for a day or two then I get the same problem with the attached error box.
At the command prompt, type the following commands. Press ENTER after each command.
Install and run the System Update Readiness Tool (SURT): See here What is the System Update Readiness Tool?
Next, open a Elevated Command Prompt.
Click on the Start button and type cmd. DO NOT press Enter or click Go.
Look at the upper part of the window and you will see cmd.exe.
Right click on it and select Run as Administrator.
Type SFC /scannow and press Enter. If problems are fixed, run 2-3 times until no problems found or fixed.
Thank you for your reply. I followed all the instructions. Ran the scan - got this (attached) on first run. Hope everything will work now - will know after a few days turning the computer on.
no idea if this the problem or not but sounds to me like the sbdrop.dll file might be stored on a part of the hard drive that is bad so keeps corrupting but it works for a while every time it is overwritten using the regsvr32 command, so might be an idea to just rename the file and then install it again so the new sbdrop.dll gets written to a different part of the drive.
like i said no idea if that is the problem or not or if that is what the regscr32 command is actually doing but it was just something that popped into my head when reading the topic so thought i'd mention it and see if you think it's worth trying.
I ran disk check, SURT, and Seagate repair to correct any bad sectors - none were found. Also, input Microsoft procedure twice to make sure it was input correctly. So far so good - I'll see what happens over the next few days.