Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

PUP Detections [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 MikeSA

MikeSA

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 04:36 PM

I am running Windows 8.1 and on my computer Malwarebytes quarantined 32 threats identified as PUP detections (Potentially Unwanted Programs) and one as Adwa.  These threats are categorized either as Registry, Folder or File.  Do I remove all these from the system completely or, since most of the threats are Registry threats, Registry integrity would be affected and corruption might occur? 

The locations of the threats are also given but I cannot make head or tail of the descriptions.  For example:

C:\Users\Windows \AppData\Roaming\Open....

HKLM\Software\WOW6432Node\classes\cl........

HKU\S-1-5-21-1213660914-3878371624-37836

C:\ProgramData\Seaarch-NeawToab\uninstal

C:\ProgramData\InstallMate\{485A6682-9CA7.....

The above is all Greek to me but do I leave the threats in Quarantine or completely delete all the threats? (The reason I ran Malwarebytes was because my computer had become extremely slow  and still is).  All responses would be most appreciated. Thanks

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 fbfbfb

fbfbfb

SuperMember

• Malware Team
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 06:19 PM

Hello and welcome MikeSA.

My name is fbfbfb.  I will gladly assist you with your concerns.
While working to resolve the issues with your machine, please follow these guidelines:

• Please be patient.  Logs are lengthy and can take time to analyze.
  • Read and follow my directions carefully, in the sequence they are posted.
  • If you are unsure about anything, please ask for clarification before continuing.
  • Use only those tools that you have been directed to use.
  • Do not install or uninstall any applications or run any other scans without being directed to do so.
  • Copy and Paste the log files inside your post. Do not send them as attachments unless otherwise instructed.
  • Stay with me until your machine has been deemed all clear.
  • Please reply within 3 days of each posting to avoid closing this topic.  If you need more time to complete tasks, or if you will be away, please let me know in advance.

Please run the following scans

1.  Farbar Recovery Scan Tool

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool from HERE, and save it to your desktop.

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to the disclaimer.
  • Press Scan.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please copy and paste it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it makes also another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply.

2.  aswMBR

Please download aswMBR from HERE.

• Double click aswMBR.exe to run it.
  • When asked if you want to download Avast's virus definitions, please select Yes.
  • Click the Scan button to start the scan.

2pn88.png

• On completion of the scan, click save log, save it to your desktop, and post in your next reply.

7Khfh.png

3.  Security Check

• Please download Security Check from HERE.
  • Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside the black box.
  • A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt.  This may take a few minutes.  Please copy and paste the contents of that document into your next reply. 

CHECKLIST:  In your next reply, please post the following:

• FRST.txt
  • Addition.txt
  • aswMBR log
  • checkup.txt

#3 MikeSA

MikeSA

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 12:25 PM

Hi

Many thanks for the prompt response.  Unfortunately, I am unable to download and run the scans as I had removed Firefox completely from my system.  But now Internet Explorer is not responding at all.  It appears the only solution is to reformat the hard drive.  I think the problem could have been caused by Microsoft's August updates which Microsoft advised that they be uninstalled.  On my system, of the five updates, I was only able to uninstall one.  The other four were not even listed in the List of Updates.  I have however been able to run Microsoft Defender but no virus or malware was detected.  Without an active browser now on my system, no other program can be installed and run.  Your comments would be appreciated.  Thanks.

#4 fbfbfb

fbfbfb

SuperMember

• Malware Team
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 05:08 PM

Hello MikeSA.

Let's first try to get you an active browser using Windows’  built-in FTP.  This will download and install Firefox without using Internet Explorer.

Please work through the following task

• Open Windows Explorer. (To do this, open Apps > under Windows System > Click File Explorer)
  • In the address bar, copy/paste  ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/latest/win32/en-US/  > Press Enter.
  • You will see 2 files named Firefox Setup 32.0.3.exe and Firefox Setup Stub 32.0.3.exe.
  • Do one of the following:
    • Drag and drop the Firefox Setup 32.0.3.exe file to your C:  drive.
    • Right-click Firefox Setup 32.0.3.exe > Select Copy To Folder > Save the file to the C:  drive.
    • Right-click Firefox Setup 32.0.3.exe > Copy and Paste to the C:  drive.
  • Windows Explorer will download the Firefox installer to your computer.
  • When installation is complete, launch the Firefox Setup application to install Firefox.

If you are successful installing Firefox, please refer back to Post #2, proceed with the scans, and send me the requested logs.

#5 fbfbfb

fbfbfb

SuperMember

• Malware Team
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 02:49 PM

Hello, MikeSA.

I have not heard back from you.  Do you still need help?

#6 fbfbfb

fbfbfb

SuperMember

• Malware Team
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 05:03 AM

Due to inactivity this topic will be closed.
If you need help please start a new thread.

New members follow the instructions here http://forums.whatth...ed_t106388.html and start a new topic