This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Regular Skips, Pauses, and Crashes (Non-Malware/Virus)

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi Tech Team,

 

I was referred to this forum to possibly find the source of problems I am having with my system. The issue is that my PC pauses and freezes at regular intervals, unfreezing again after 4-8 seconds or so. With lesser regularity but with frequency nonetheless, eventually the freezes turn permanent and the entire system crashes/restarts.

 

This has actually been going on for quite some time now (the past 6-8 months) but recently they have become so frequent that I can no longer ignore it / the PC is getting quite unusable. I went the malware/virus route and went through the motions as shown in this thread, but it appears this problem is not caused by that.

 

Another odd side-effect of this is, after the first freeze/pause upon turning on the PC (about 5-10 mins. after turning it on), my cursor almost disappears / becomes difficult to see, as it goes from an "arrow" shape to a semi-transparent "insert here" shape (the kind you see when you're typing in a field and there is a thin vertical line, except slightly transparent). This is frustrating and does not go away until I restart the system.

 

I was wondering if maybe my processor is shot or there are overheating problems. I wish I could figure it out so I can pinpoint the part I need to replace (even if it means I need to replace the processor, which might be overheating even though I have a gynormous cooling element attached to it).

 

I built this PC about 2 years ago, but the problems did not start until 6-8 months ago. Here are my specs (lifted from the above linked thread):

 

How old is the computer?
 
I built this computer with parts bought in December 2012. Worked fine for the following years 'til these issues started cropping up about 4-5 months ago.
 
What is the make & model?
 
Since I built it, here are the main parts I used:
 
AMD FX-4100 Quad Core 3.60 ghz (I have a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus - CPU Cooler attached to this)
RAM: 6 GB
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460
Power Supply: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W
OS: Windows 7
System type: 64 bit
Hard drive(s): Samsung SSD 830 series (60 GB) for the OS, and 3 other standard HDs for storage (total of 1992 GB).
 
Is the computer a tower or a laptop?
 
A tower.
 
Which drive is your primary drive? (where the operating system is located)
 
C: drive. It’s a Samsung SSD 830 series ATA device, 60 GB.

 

——————————————–

 

Thanks for any help!

Hi Temujin,

Its good to know that your computer is free of viruses and other malicious code.

 

1 It would be wise to identify if its a hardware problem with your computer or a software or operating system issue, so as a first step please download a live distro of Linux ( Puppy is good) burn the .iso as an image (make sure its a burnt as an image as a copy will not work.)

 

2 Boot your computer from the Puppy disc  you have just burnt (don't install Puppy. just let it run in RAM) and with your Ethernet cable connected (for Internet access) give your computer a good workout and see if after several hours of use the problems are cured or if they remain.

 

3 If the problems continue exactly the same as when running under Windows then we have probably identified that a hardware issue is at the root of the problems you have been experiencing.

 

4 If the computer runs well under Puppy Linux (make allowances for the fact that it will be running entirely within RAM) then it is pointing towards Windows or software as the likely culprit.

 

5 I will shortly be leaving for my holiday so I will set out the logic tree that could be used to help diagnose and solve the issues….. Post back if you require detailed directions on how to proceed and one of the Techs on the forum here will provide them or I will do so  as soon as I return (around 2 weeks time or so)

 

6 If its likely a hardware issue then starting at the wall socket check the output voltage and frequency matches that required for your machine, next  check the Ram modules by removing and refitting (to remove any oxidation of the contacts) If you have multiple memory modules check them by using just one or two in isolation and then thoroughtly testing how the computer performs on say half RAM) Next check the Power Supply Unit for correct output on all rails..(this is not easy to do without the correct test equipment that provides the correct "load" to the system, so if in any doubt just replace with a compatible PSU for testing purposes and give it extensive use to see how it runs) Next plug in a motherboard tester and compare the digital output with the mobo testers handbook to see if any problems are identified

 

7 If on the other hand the computer works well under Puppy Linux then boot into Windows safe mode with networking and  test thoroughly….. ( Warning your anti virus and other protections will not be working properly during this test so be careful!) if things are Ok (computer works well) using this approach then its likely some thing that is loading with normal Windows but not in safe mode is a likely candidate for suspicion and MSCONFIG can be used to help identify the problem.

 

8 If  running under safe mode with networking offers no relief to the problem then set up a new admin level account (Control Panel >User accounts)  and reboot the machine and log into the new account that you have just created ( carry out a good test using this new account…..) is this operating any better?

 

9 Temperature testing, Hard drive, CPU, RAM can also be tested by downloading the appropriate utilities (burn them to disc etc)….

 

10 Hopefully the above will set you on the right road but I need to issue a warning:

Because you built your machine yourself, hopefully you took all the required ESD (anti static) and personal safety requirements…… there are lethal voltages involved so using an incorrect proceedure or carrying it out incorrectly can have catastrophic results and lead to death or serious injury, not to mention  damage to your computer and or loss of data, so if in any doubt take it to a competent computer technician or a repair shop of good reputation.

 

Post back if you need further information, but as a priority I recommend you check your back up strategy has worked effectively and everything that is important to you on your machine is comprehensively backed up, 100% accurate, reproducible and with at least one extra copy kept safe offsite on removable media… If your disc images are not up to date then make a complete disc image now of your hard drive and ensure you have a method of booting your computer and accessing the image in the event that your machine is no longer able to boot into Windows.

 

Regards

paws

Hi Paws,

 

This is very comprehensive and great. I am running through the first couple of steps now (via Linux and Puppy), to see how things go. I will print this and keep referring to it as I go along. I think I can handle most of these steps without needing additional directions, though if any other admin sees this and wants to weigh in, that would be fine (I understand your leaving for holiday! We all need a break now and then).

 

Hopefully I can diagnose whether it's hardware or software that's the source of this problem. I'll check back in as I move things along.

 

Thanks again.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI