Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

HELP... My Dell Computer is Acting Weird! [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 Bally

Bally

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 06:09 AM

Hopefully, Ken545 picks-up on my heading? Ken am still am having issues with the former thread you worked with me on, but don't know if you want to reopen that now closed thread, or deal with it here, as I attempt to resolve issues with my wife's Dell computer?

Hopefully, this inquiry gets to your attention.

Best Regards, Curt

-END-

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 ken545

ken545

Forum God

• Retired Classroom Teacher
  • 23,225 posts
  • Interests:Fighting Malware and cooking some great Italian and TexMex food
  • MVP

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:13 AM

Just reopened it for you Curt

http://forums.whatth...e=3#entry852947

The forum is staffed by volunteers who donate their time and expertise.
If you feel you have been helped, please consider a donation.
donate.gif

Find us on Facebook
Please LIKE and SHARE

Just a reminder that threads will be closed if no reply in 3 days.

#3 Bally

Bally

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:55 AM

Hi Ken, hope your time away was enjoyed. I am now sending this reply from my wife's Dell computer. ... before getting started maybe I should provide you with some background information. Mary's computer is pretty much off-limits excepting on those occasions when she needs help fixing something, and I am reluctant to help, as I am still being blamed for changes I made in the past, but she eventually got used to using Chrome while favoring IE. Prior to her leaving for the UK and our granddaughters wedding this coming Saturday, she asked if I try and straighten-out problems with this dog. So, I decided to attempt to clean things up a bit before asking for your help. She had been using Spybot (another dog) and her computer just kept running slower and slower. Not that I am at the helm, I dwnld. a couple of prgms. to clean things up a bit, i.e., AVG Internet Security 2014 + AVG PC Tune Up. 

Now here is where I screwed-up... before I ran AVG PC Tune Up, I decided that I should be able to signon her computer under USER ACCOUNTS by creating a New User (moi, as BallyZACA) and filled out a pop-up screen entered my screenname and my personal password for my e-mail (. And thought no more about it. Then I ran the AVG PC Tune Up program, lots of problems identified, and upon reboot my wife as the Administrator was no more (not even shown in User Acct's, and I was the new Administrator. But worst yet is ALL her icons on her desktop were gone a and the screen looked something like it did when first removed from the box and booted-up. OMG, am I in deep do-do! :) ... but checked the backbone in the C:\ drive and ALL her stuff is there ONLY I know not how to get it back on her desktop? Since I have deleted myself as the Administrator and have created a handle MARY as the Admin., but am not sure that was the handle being used prior to my deleting her? Her handle may have been just Administrator? Anyway, dealing with this should probably come after resolving ALL the other problems first with the various programs that analyzed and fixes problems on my computer.

Anyway, that's the background... when time permits you can get me started, as I have been able to backdoor to my e-mail on her computer even though I am doing it through the new Admin. acc't I created in her name.

Best Regards, Curt

-END- 

#4 ken545

ken545

Forum God

• 23,225 posts
  • MVP

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:20 AM

Curt, most of those 3rd party tune up tools are not worth a grain of salt

I removed your email address from your post.

Do not ever post personal info as far as Name, Address, Phone Number, email address into the forum as these posts can be viewed by anyone with an internet connection from anywhere in the world

AVG PC Tune Up, not sure what this has done, you may have to bite the bullet and ask her what her account name was and see if you can create a new one for her as administrator and delete yours, once anyone is the administrator you can always go in to the control panel > user accounts and sign in as a guest without having to create a new one

Try doing a system restore and see if it brings it all back

Then start a new thread for your wife and provide the logs

donate.gif

Find us on Facebook
Please LIKE and SHARE

#5 Bally

Bally

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:31 AM

... tried System Restore going back from recent to dates in late July... that didn't work, so will deal with that after we get her computer working better.

#6 Bally

Bally

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:52 AM

Ken... have dwnld. 3 programs, i.e., OTL, HJackThis, and DDS... but haven't run yet awaiting your command.

#7 ken545

ken545

Forum God

• 23,225 posts
  • MVP

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:15 AM

Curt, you seem like a pleasant and  sincere sort of guy and I don't mind helping you, but I am wondering if  your reading anything that I post, I posted at least 3 times that you need to start a new topic for your wife and run and post the logs from aswMBR and also FRST , thats all i need to see for now

donate.gif

Find us on Facebook
Please LIKE and SHARE

#8 Bally

Bally

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:41 PM

... got it, thought this topic heading was to act as the new thread? ... alright will dwnld. the two files and start a new thread with a heading Help, with my Dell Computer.

#9 ken545

ken545

Forum God

• 23,225 posts
  • MVP

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:43 PM

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance.

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please follow the instructions here http://forums.whatth...ed_t106388.html
and start a New Topic.

donate.gif

Find us on Facebook
Please LIKE and SHARE