This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Strange taskbar icon

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

First I’m running XP Pro.

 

I get a strange icon in my Taskbar.  Sometimes I get it at boot, and other times it will just show up whenever.

 

The icon looks like an empty (theme) window with a grey border, a white interior, and a blue bar across the top (windows default).

 

            There is no text with the icon.

            I left-click on it and nothing happens except it flashes once.

            I try to right-click on it and nothing happens.

            In Task Manager it shows no applications.

 

I started closing Processes 1 at a time in my Task Manager to see when the icon went away.  When I closed WZCSLDR2.EXE it went away.  WZCSLDR2.EXE is associated with my D-link wireless adapter.

 

After closing WZCSLDR2.EXE I attempted to go online with no difficulty.  Everything seems to be working fine.

 

Any suggestions as to what this is?  Next time it shows up I will attach a screen dump to show icon.

From Processlibrary.com:

 

wzcsldr2.exe is a process associated with ALPHA Networks Wireless driver. It loads on Windows start up. Disabling it might cause problems with your wireless network …

 

Try reinstalling this driver.

From Processlibrary.com:

 

wzcsldr2.exe is a process associated with ALPHA Networks Wireless driver. It loads on Windows start up. Disabling it might cause problems with your wireless network …

 

Try reinstalling this driver.

What a totally basic idea that I didn't think of.  I did it and I'll see what happens.  Thanks for jogging my brain.

Well, the icon is back.  I have saved copies of the screen dump, but I don't see how to upload them.  I can send them to an e-mail address if anyone want to see them..

Take a look at msconfig, Startup tab. See if there is anything in there relating to D-Link that might have to do with wzcsldr2.exe?

 

Start, Run, type msconfig and press Enter. Click on the Startup tab.

Also, click on the Services tab then check the Hide All Microsoft Services box and see what D-Link related things are there.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI