Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

What Does This Mean?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2003 - 03:22 AM

:o
When attempting to go to Spywareinfo forum the following message was received what does it mean? :(

SWI is being badly slashdotted. The forums are down to deal with the load. If you need help removing a parasite, please use TomCoyote. http://forums.tomcoyote.org

What in the world is "badly slashdotted"? :scratch:

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 ChrisRLG

ChrisRLG

Emeritus-Spyware Fighter

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,855 posts

Posted 03 December 2003 - 03:32 AM

They are under attack by some scum on the net.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Matthew 7:7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and a door will be opened to you."

#3 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2003 - 03:46 AM

ChrisRLG Thank you for the reply -- I am sorry for being so unknowing -- but, if I don't ask question when I don't know -- how does one learn anything? Does the term "slashdotted" mean that someone has sent some sort of virus or worm to Mike's site? Or do you mean that someone is sending 'spam-like' things to the site [which I don't see how that can be done - but, I know nothing of these things anyway]? :wall:

#4 Mike

Mike

Spykiller Supremus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 December 2003 - 04:10 AM

LOL....... The only thing attacking swi is a hundred thousand geeks reading the news. There's an article on slashdot linking to spywareinfo and it's KILLING the server. The forums are turned off to help with the load.

#5 mjc

mjc

-

• PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 03 December 2003 - 04:15 AM

Actually, no they are NOT under any form of attack.

They are currently featured on the frontpage of www.slashdot.org , probably on e of the most widely read "geek news" sites on the net.

Tthat translates into 1000's of visitors to SWI per minute, trying to see what the article, that is in the current newsletter and featured on slashdot is all about.

It is actually very good for a site to be featured favorably on slashdot, except they have been known to cause servers to melt....
I hope it wan't my turn to refill te coffe pot...

Posted Image

#6 ChrisRLG

ChrisRLG

Emeritus-Spyware Fighter

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,855 posts

Posted 03 December 2003 - 04:16 AM

Sorry mike for my mistake in knowing the term, and happy that you are not under attack, in the literal sense.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Matthew 7:7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and a door will be opened to you."

#7 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2003 - 04:29 AM

:lol: Thank you all for the lesson in terms! Glad to know that there is no "real" bad 'stuff' being sent to SWI! :D